I Forge Iron

Tom Clark Hammer

Fe-Wood

I used a tom clark hammer over the weekend and I realy liked it... Does anyone have a 2.75 to 3 pounder they whant to sell?
I'm looking for flat on one side with rounding on the other and or a cross pean.

Edited by Fe-Wood
add discription

Peyton
Part of the site maintenance is making the site and posts easier to read by turning long URLs into hot links. The corrected line of text was omitted when the edit was saved. It did not mysteriously disappear as you have suggested.

We also go through and reduce the large images to thumbnails. This makes the loading of the threads much faster with 10k images instead of images that are megabytes in size. It allows people with slower modems to be able to view the site (not having to wait till all the images download), and people with fast modems to view the site even faster.

All this is usually done behind the scene with no one taking notice, and creates a similar look to the entire site, a look that concentrates on the information presented rather than huge stop signs of unrelated text and or large images.

I have several Hofi hammers and a Tom CLark and a couple of Big BLU ...the Tom Clark; and the ones I have seen; all have a flatter pein than do the Hofi or the Big Blu. the Hofi moves metal better than the Tom Clark. now that Tom has passed on I may just put his hammer up . Hofi does not make a rounding hammer or a diagonal pein or a straight pein. you can only get them from Big Blu or make them your self . I hope this does not cause a problem here as I was only trying to answer FE-WOOD question .

Edited by jimbob

The harm and foul was that it cast a shadow across the post and the site, the shadow being that IForgeIron had part of a post *mysteriously disappeared* (deleted) and in doing so, had censored Big Blu. Neither was the case.

If you have concerns about how IForgeIron is operated, contact me directly. We have corresponded about many things so you have both my email address and my phone number.

I spoke with Hofi and he feels there is no need for a diagonal peen or a straight peen, you just need hammer control. He then demonstrated hammer control by moving hot metal in any way he wished it to go. He was able to do all these things with just one hammer, and hammer control.

I just compared the pein on my son's Tom Clark to my 2 Hofi's and aside from a bit of rounding/burnishing on his TC and my older Hofi from use, The new unused Hofi is much flatter. Tom was pretty firm on that pein having a flat spot. When I got my new Hofi I saw that Hofi must have convinced him of that much. Tom's hammer is a little less squat than Hofi's.

When I attended one of the first Tom Clark/Uri Hofi instructional classes in Potosi, MO., Tom and Uri were making the Uri Hoffi hammer. They were all hand made, and of the ones I looked at, no two were exactly alike. Some were a little flatter, squatter, etc. It looks like both Uri and Tom mechanized the making of their forged hammer to some extent, but I would guess that when it comes to grinding the faces and drawing out the peen, it is still done by hand which allows for some variation.

I was given a 2 3/4 lb. hammer for taking the class and purchased a 3 1/4 lb. hammer from them. At some point I ground a little flat on the peen of both hammers, but have since then reground both peens to an approx. 3/4 inch radius and that is where I'll leave them.

I guess the point of this is that a blacksmith doesn't always have to keep the original grind on the faces.