I Forge Iron

Hammer Racks

Nick

I would agree with everyone who said only a few hammers are really needed to do general blacksmithing; however, the accumulation of hammers and other sorts of tools is a natural habit of the trade. I made this rack hoping it would hold almost everything in one place. It replaced 3 or 4 other racks so I guess I did gain some room....somewhere...:)

1527.attach

I made a quick, simple hammer rack for my new shop. I've got more height than floor space to work with, so I took an old free wooden pallet, knocked out a board or two in the middle, and stood it up on end behind a workbench along a wall. I'm using the bottom side out, so I have hammers in the top and in the middle rung. I added wood spacers inside where the forklift tines would go to keep heads from falling through. I need to go back and remove a few spacers, because I seem to have a lot more large handles than small handles.

It cost nothing in materials and required no power tools. So far, all of the stakes and hardy tools are piled up on the shelf under the workbench.

This is my new Hammer Rack. Basicly I followed BP166 and then added a few things to fit the needs of my shop. The base is a semi-tractor brakedrum with a piece of 1/4" plate welded to it. The center pole is 1' sch 40 black pipe. The pivots and spacers are 1 1/2" sch 40 black pipe. The bottom rack will hold hardies, Tongs and hammers. The middle rack is made of 5/16" round stock and has room for 32 hammers/hafted tools. It will also has room toexpand one more ring if need be. The top rack is made of 6" and 4" pieces of 2" sch 40 black pipe welded to the 1 1/2" black pipe pivot. This rack is designed for holding Punches, drifts, chisels, Monkey tools and files.
The rack is approximately 6' tall and when loaded you can lean it to one side and roll it easily if you want to move it.
It's probably over kill but I built it to use for demos this year. I'm trying to make as much of my shop portable as possible. As the last picture shows it will breakdown easily if need be.
It did free up alot of space in the forge area of shop also.

John

1590.attach

1591.attach

1592.attach

1593.attach

1594.attach

1595.attach

1596.attach

1597.attach

1598.attach

• 1 month later...
  • 5 years later...

Thought I'd try my hand at a tool rack to practice my welding and clear up some of the clutter.

I used a piece of scrap 10" ductile iron pipe for the stand because it was there. Had to buy a 12"x12" piece of expanded metal and 1/2" angle to make the table top. It holds all sorts of stuff rather neatly and cleans up my main work table rather nicely. But, I'm already seeing some ideas for improvements......

ToolStand.jpg

ToolStandDetail.jpg

I've seen a lot of great ideas for racks. I wish I had room for a dedicated rack but with my limited space, I have to integrate where I can. I made this set-up around my vise pedestal, as I use hammers around my vise almost as much as my anvil. I didn't put the rack around my anvil base because I have to move the anvil in and out of shop (with the forge) when I do forging. That would get a little unwielding with all my hammers ;)

post-38-0-96147100-1352216794_thumb.jpg

• 2 years later...