I Forge Iron

Show me your anvil

Welcome to the forum!  Don't panic about the flap disk.  At that grit unless you spent a lot of time and/or put a lot of force into your grinding you probably didn't take much more than the surface rust off.  Now you can finish the polishing job with hot steel.  Welcome to the addiction.

What Buzzkill said. You’ve got a nice Mousehole (aka The Undisputed King of Anvils), made between 1830 and 1835. The 1-1-0 mark means 140 pounds; look around for info on the hundredweight system. 

The upside-down stamp is unusual and a bit fun. People sometimes say that it’s the kind of mistake that gets made at the end of a shift when workers are tired and not paying attention, but it could simply be carelessness. 

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly! I am ecstatic that I didn't ruin this 180 year old anvil. I was actually in the process of getting a quote to machine it smooth, but with further investigation it seems I don't need perfect angles or edges? Cool. Either way I feel like I dodged a bullet there ;)

JHCC, I checked out the hundredweight system, interesting what people thought was a good way to count a couple centuries ago. Regarding the stamp, I find it hilarious that the "King of Anvils" could have such a blatant mistake on it. I love it. 

I haven't been able to find one at this weight for sale, do you know what it may be worth in this condition?

Edited by Mod34
Excessive quoting removed

Good Morning,

Received this Anvil from my Grandfather - equals - PRICELESS!!!!!!!!

Use it like you promised him you would. Enjoy it like he expects you will. Looking for a dollar value of a given object is extremely rude!!!

Get something HOT, have something to HOLD IT, use something to HIT IT WITH, Change the cross-section of one thing into another shape. Continue again and again trying. Present your Grandfather with one of your creations. He will have a smile between his ears that you can't wipe off!!!!! Priceless!!!!!!

Neil

You must have me mistaken! As I mentioned before, I have no intentions of ever getting rid of it, just purely curious. However, I guess "the Undisputed King of Anvils" is as much as I need to know as far as value goes. Thank you for that bit of wisdom. 

Now, I have something to get hot, I have a way to get it hot, and something to hit it with. I've been using a Big Pair of Channel-Locks to hold it. Is there something you'd recommend that would work better for the "HOLD IT" part??

Cheers :D

Edited by Mod34
Excessive quoting removed

You got the anvil for free and it's a nice one....

There is no reason you should be using channel locks.  It is dangerous and makes forging much harder.  Spend a little on some decent tongs and make blacksmithing safer and much more fun for yourself.  

Then show us what you make!

I've had this for a few years now and have never been able to figure out what the make is. The numbers on the side look like 1 1 18, but it's hard to read the last number. The best guess I've got for the lettering on the side is that it looks sort of like the top line ends with RODEUS (I'm only sure about the D and S, though) and there are certainly letters before that, but I can't make them out. There's also some lettering below that line, but all I can make out is ANTE. It has served my purposes well, though, even if I have no idea when or where it was made. The cat seems to approve, too.

IMG_4675 - Copy.JPG

WP_20130824_002_01.thumb.jpg.731c140db8ae7ae49d07a537af556c8b.jpg

IMG_0367 - Copy.jpg

WP_20151115_004.jpg

The vintage ones have a diamond on the end upswept The diamond is just taken from the round stock with no upset to a larger size. the diamonds are the same thickness as the parent stock..   Very easy to make in the vise with and small upset as this wont' crush the round very much.. a split die for the vise is even better.. 

I'd practice on a few ends to perfect the technique and boom.. Nicely done.. :) 

20180925_053615.jpg

Time for reading:  Reading is one of the things I do for pleasure and so I generally have a book to hand and read when I have a moment to spare---waiting for the Van to pick me up at the customs/immigration office to take me to work, reading at the table---when I'm at the casita I'm generally alone and so a good book is good company.  Reading while waiting at the Dr's office.  I read before bed to slow my mind down---often an old favorite that I don't need to "finish" as I know it so well.  And, of course, with no TV I have time for in depth reading in my areas of interest.

Wallace, your anvil looks to be an older one and with the CWT weight; most likely English make.  As there were over 200 English Anvil Manufacturers it may be difficult to track it down.  When I have such questions I get in touch with Richard Postman, author of "Anvils in America", and ask his opinion.  (How I found out that my POWE was a Powell and not a Powers, though I'm temped to correct that flaw...)

And please remember folks---at least everywhere I have lived: you bale hay  and use the bail on a bucket or pot to carry it.

(He was out on bail, baling hay, while holding the bail of his lunch pail...)

On 7/1/2018 at 12:30 PM, stevomiller said:

Remarkably good small Chinese anvil I picked up for my techs at work to use. I bought it on Ebay for $145 shipped......It’s an Italian/French pattern, 30kg or 66lbs, 3/4”~ hardy hole opposite the round horn. I usd flap discs on my disc grinder to clean up the horn casting, which was quite orange peely, but the flat face came ground smooth. Used flap discs to put an 1/8” radius on most of it, and a greater 1/4” for the first 3.5” on either side nearest the round horn.I don’t have any large bearings to test rebound, but when lightly struck with a small hammer over the sweet spot it will throw it back at you. Both horns ring like the bells of Hades. 

DD942B3F-8D12-41E2-B81B-B0E1D9A5C9F1.jpeg

9DEC3A92-B79E-4119-96EB-EE7087B22449.jpeg

UPDATE: I added some 1” 52100 bearings to my last McMaster order. I put my 16” square on the face, and dropped the bearing from the 16” height over the center of the anvil face between the four feet (was in a hurry need to check over trapezoidal horn). The return was exceptional at a full 15”. Color me happy ;-) Now to fabricate a stand and bring it home away from those that might molest it at work.

• 2 weeks later...

So a friend of mine knows I've been working on a RR track and 15 pound Harbor Freight. He said his father in law wanted to know if I wanted an anvil. I asked how much, his answer was free.

No idea of anything about it, but excited. Anyone have any guesses on my new toy?

I should have it tomorrow or the next day.

received_346356162774289.jpeg

received_1920790658001998.jpeg

You’ll find it rings much less than a solid steel anvil or one with a wrought iron body and steel face. Vulcans have a decent reputation, even if they’re not exactly highly sought-after. Certainly better than your HF ASO, and worth a good bit more than what you’re paying!