I Forge Iron

Show me your anvil

guys, I'm sorry to say that most of your anvils are boring:) they all look the same...
until i'll post pictures of my anvils (not very soon, but I promise I'll do it), just check this guy's anvils:
NEW ANVIL ...

from time to time I visit his page and open that photo (and those with axe heads) and I'm salivating in front of it...
am I sick?

Well, I just picked up my newest sweetie (.. and boy does my back hurt ... no, really ...) blink.gif

Found her at a salvage yard - a 175lb Peter Wright ... paid $250.00 before taxes rolleyes.gif

She's got some battle scars (... why are the cut marks always on the horn? ...) and a bit of chipping at the edges, but there's still lots of life in her.

I'm happy, and my wife is happy too because now this means that we don't need to go to the auction tomorrow evening and she can work in her garden.
A good night for us both biggrin.gif.

Sam

post-4558-087160200 1274222751_thumb.jpg

post-4558-014350500 1274222763_thumb.jpg

post-4558-059903300 1274222775_thumb.jpg

This is one I picked up and I don't know what brand it is. All I can make out on it is K NN also 136 or 186. It's rather heave so I'm thinking it's 136 but it's my first anvil so if anyone knows for sure what it is please let me know. Not that it matter though. It's mine for life! Yeah those are push rods from a 350 chevy lol. They were handy at the moment.

post-13863-076750300 1274244276_thumb.jp

That looks/sounds like a Hay Budden made in Brooklynn. Nice anvil. Congratulations!

If you are curious as to the age, you can see if the serial number on the front of the foot still exists and post it here. Someone with the book 'Anvils in America' can reference the serial number to the year of manufacture.

This is my anvil it is 150 pounds, someone on here said it was a Trenton, and someone else said it was a Hay-Budden.

Are there any numbers on the front of the foot? The location (left or right side of the foot) and nature of these numbers can help differentiate between the manufacturers. As well, what does the underside of the base look like?

How can he tell it's 400 years old? The shape looks like a relatively modern European anvil and it's got a hardy hole.

I don't know if it's true... doesn't matter for me. I just like the pic of that bunch of anvils.
and don't take seriously what I said about your anvils. I'm just salivating in front of your anvil pics, too. that kind of anvils which are popular in the States, you can't find too much around here, where the austrian pattern is the most popular.
apart of the 2 austrian pattern anvils, I'm a proud owner of a french forged (I suppose)one. I hope to post some pictures as soon as I can

I just joined the forum because I couldn't stand to not see the pictures. :) Figured I'd post my recently acquired Peter Wright 113lb'r while I'm here oogling away. I have no idea how old she is so if anyone knows please speak up I'd love to hear about it.

PS - Hopefully I'll post more but for the time being I'm on the sucking up info side of things here, I'm a complete noob to the forge.

P1010071.jpg

P1010076.jpg

P1010074.jpg

P1010080.jpg

P1010070-1.jpg

I just joined the forum because I couldn't stand to not see the pictures. :) Figured I'd post my recently acquired Peter Wright 113lb'r while I'm here oogling away. I have no idea how old she is so if anyone knows please speak up I'd love to hear about it.

PS - Hopefully I'll post more but for the time being I'm on the sucking up info side of things here, I'm a complete noob to the forge.

Looks like a keeper.

Welcome aboard, since you are sucking up info, you already know to ask questions if you need to.

Phil

Well, here is my colonial pattern Fisher (joking). It was broken off at the hardy when I got it and the jagged back was wearing on me aesthetically. Functionally, all of the edges were so chiped I couldn't use them for fullering because my work kept sliding into the crevices. I took the back off evenly at the front of the hardy and radiused the edges as much as I dared. I ground the surface a bit so that I could have a couple of areas with no pitting. You can tell from the photos that there are still some deeper pits, but I didn't want to risk grinding too deeply. I'm very pleased with the results and I think it will make the edges more useful. I checked the rebound with a ball bearing before and after and noticed no difference. I look forward to firing up the forge this weekend and giving her a workout.

post-11994-040928500 1274407989_thumb.jp

post-11994-044061100 1274408012_thumb.jp

post-11994-070933400 1274408032_thumb.jp

Your anvil is alot like mine, except yours is in better condition. It has been treated very well in its life. It was made between 1885-1910, based on it not having England stamped in it and having solid wrought in a circle. I still haven't found any info why the center weight number is not in the solid wrought circle, maybe someone out there knows about this. Also its actually 115lbs. 1=112, 0=0, 3=3.
Welcome to the site.

A couple months ago BIGGUNDOCTOR showed up at my place with a mild steel plate - 1.5 x 12 x 19" true on 3 edges and flame cut on the fourth ... after staring at it for all this time I finally figured out how I wanted to "mount it" for an anvil ... like so - the photos tell the story - plate weighs 90# even and after adding the other stuff it weighs in at 147#. Thanks Walter!!!post-10988-089849800 1275112364_thumb.jppost-10988-009316600 1275112453_thumb.jppost-10988-091616700 1275112492_thumb.jppost-10988-076020100 1275112515_thumb.jppost-10988-082581100 1275112554_thumb.jppost-10988-063690300 1275112575_thumb.jp

Handles at the sides allow for easy moving and can be hammer holders. The wood sides are 3 x 16" glue laminated beam end cuts salvaged from a construction site as are the all thread rods ... total cost for the project about $10.00 :D

Here's mine.

Sold on fleabay as a Hay Budden, but there's no markings I can find, using any of the usual methods.

70kg, sounds flat under the main working face so there's a void or de-lamination there, and the far edge is chipped quite badly. But she does for me at the moment & will continue to do so.

9263137b.jpg