8 hours ago, Lchaloner said:

Haha, i'll DM you a link.  But I warned you it was bad. 

That is a great video or your build.  Well done and i am envious of your work. Well done and great video.  

The build is epic and deserves to be posted in the anvil thread. 

Nice build..   

Sorry, and its not really my place. but this is a quality build and worthy of sharing..  

Shoot me if I am wrong and nice job.  I apologize ahead of time and beg for forgiveness.. 

How refreshing is that! 

A quality build without claims of mastery.

Well done mate ( are you sure you are not Australian? ) 

Your anvil deserves the term "Design anvil" rather than improvised anvil.

Good for you

Looking forward to see what you forge on it. :)

Thanks Marc1!  Nah, I wouldn't wish an Australian accent on anyone ;)  I'm looking forward to seeing what gets forged on it too.  Gotta get the forge build rolling first.

You can always lay some hardfacing rod onto the surfaces if you like.  You say mild steel, but do you know what were they used for originally? I see they were bolted to something at one time, and have you tried heat treating a sample yet? They may be a medium carbon alloy that will toughen up with some torch work.

Thanks Flatliner.  Biggundoctor, on hard facing rod...you are right, I have seen people do that but I haven't yet spent the time to research how to do it myself or see if I would get a huge benefit from it.  With regards to hardening... I bought it from a Blacksmith near me that told me it was hardened (i bought it at scrap steel prices and thought it could have been anything).  It looked like an enormous die of some sort from a press. 40 inches long, 160lbs, couple of huge bolt holes and a hexagonal profile on the top.  When I ground it down it felt just like a massive piece of mild steel to me.  Guess it is time to research how I would test and harden it or how I would work with facing rod.  Thanks for the input on the improvements.

The exact rod of choice must be chosen carefully, as I found out. I recall the head of the welding department in college told us about surfacing rods having the tendency to leave spider web cracks, as mine did. Talk to the rod manufacturer, that is the best advice I can give you. Nice work, so far.

If they were dies from a press I'd imagine they'd be some type of tool steel. The sparks from the grinder in your video don't look very high carbon, but there could be other alloying metals that don't noticeably change the spark characteristics.