I Forge Iron

Show me your anvil

Guest jasonmichalski

My 175lb Queens cross given to me by my Uncle he has no kids and he wanted me to take care of it, because his wifes grandpa gave it to him. It sat in a basement since her family moved from PA. 60 years ago from a farm that was a centenial farm then and the anvil was on the farm when they bought it, so that puts it in there family for 160+ years.
P3011176.jpg
P3011175.jpgP3011185.jpg

I made my guess based on the flat ledges on the feet, the casting lines on the base, and the script that was used to stamp the weight. My Soderfors has all those characteristics.

Mine also had the year it was made stamped on the front of the foot and on the side. You might be able to find a year of manufacture on yours too.

My 175lb Queens cross given to me by my Uncle he has no kids and he wanted me to take care of it, because his wifes grandpa gave it to him. It sat in a basement since her family moved from PA. 60 years ago from a farm that was a centenial farm then and the anvil was on the farm when they bought it, so that puts it in there family for 160+ years.
P3011176.jpg
P3011175.jpgP3011185.jpg

Lost my ID in the upgrade but I'm back

IMAG0016.jpg

My 125 pound hay budden. as far as i can tell it was made in 1908-1910. got this crhistmas from the greatest parents evar. ;D any time i accidently damage it *Cough* cold chisels *Cough* a part of me dies inside. only picture i have of it on my photobucket i will try to upload more later.

yeah yeah, i do have the cold you know. andi do have one made, its just it was a quick to secod job to get the sharp edges off of an old steel brooms stick my 3 year old brother was playing around with. i am only fourteen ya know, alot to learn still. plus i was postive that the cold chisel wouldnt be able to cut it ^_^. guess i was wrong.

yeah yeah, i do have the cold you know. andi do have one made, its just it was a quick to secod job to get the sharp edges off of an old steel brooms stick my 3 year old brother was playing around with. i am only fourteen ya know, alot to learn still. plus i was postive that the cold chisel wouldnt be able to cut it ^_^. guess i was wrong.

Ahem
SLOW DOWN!

Doing any job properly is quicker than rushing to get it done. Your tools are better taken care of, you are less likely to hurt yourself, you are less likely to have to re-do the job.

Nice looking anvil.
Phil

Well being a teenager is almost a reason to be forgiven any fool thing you do. I will certainly not share some of my exploits during those years; save by saying I can still count to 10 on my fingers---scars don't count!

However you do learn with time that messing up your tools means you get to buy them over and over instead of being able to buy *new* and *different* ones and have the old ones still usable.

With time you learn to start thinking about failure modes "What's the worst thing that can happen?" (which is often "you'll put your eye out!" and so you should start thinking of wearing PPE when you are in the shop---most hardware and lumber yards have safety glasses that are not the old dorky ones we had back in our youth---get a set of cool ones and wear them!)

On the other hand; we are generally going to try to treat you like an adult; so learn to take your lumps and LEARN from them! Our craft has some intrinsic dangers and we are not going to tell you NO! But only "be as safe as you can doing dangerous stuff!"

As for messing up tools when young I got you beat! When I was about 2 years old I tried to chop rocks with my Mother's 2nd anniversary present a Kabar butcher knife and chipped the blade. I learned quite a lot from that incident and recently she gave me that blade as a present---53 years later...

As for messing up tools when young I got you beat! When I was about 2 years old I tried to chop rocks with my Mother's 2nd anniversary present a Kabar butcher knife and chipped the blade. I learned quite a lot from that incident and recently she gave me that blade as a present---53 years later...

nope. i did somethign very similar. my father got a shun ken onion 8 inch chefs knife for valentiones day from my mother (300$ at least) and one day later i was slicing a lemon with it cuz i think its effing cool, sliced the $*!% out of my finger, dropped it and chipped the blade. quite similar accidents if you ask me

Click "more reply options" instead of "post" and there will be a label "attach files" at the bottom. With the simple up loader you click "choose file" select your file and then click "attach this file"

Advanced up loader was not working for me, but the format is similar. You can select multiple files.

Phil

Well I viewed all the pics on this string and couldn't find this brand. I picked this one up from a retired auto body guy in Northern Illinois just yesterday. He's chucking it all and moving to New Zealand!

It's a West vanadium cast steel anvil (from what I can tell) made sometime in the 30's in Cleveland, OH by the West Steel Casting Company. Thomas Dyson West was the founder and had a great rep in the foundry science community. This one weighs 173# and rings loud and clear like a great big bell. It came with the maple stump on locking casters and an egg-shaped hardy tool. It's in amazing shape!

post-25053-0-05294800-1334059622_thumb.j

post-25053-0-29520800-1334103801_thumb.j