Got this beautiful Nimba Centurion recently. Which I've named Adira.

20180912_230924.thumb.jpg.66d107dbcbe130c08a88f2880e952d10.jpg

She replaced this, which has served me very well for the last 5 years. I'll continue to use it too, just need to clean it up a little. 20180910_102517.thumb.jpg.39f1927d7127bf2d884b4ed2fdbb01f2.jpg

I've probably posted these individually before but they looked so pretty all out together. From left, unknown, Peter Wright, chunk of steel upset block, and soderfers. 

20180916_174020.jpg

I picked up my first anvil today, a JHM Sharper 160 lb. 

I bought it from my local farrier/blacksmith shop.  Its a lightly used anvil and I paid $600.00 for it.  Think I got a pretty good deal!

44746127711_b1e871f000_b.jpgNew Anvil by Andrew Marjama, on Flickr

Now I just have to line my forge with refractory, cure it and I am all set to start learning how to blacksmith.  I'm pretty excited!

Hey guys! New to the forum.

I received this from my grandfather, after expressing some interest in novice blacksmithing. (Thanks!)

I'm planning on keeping it in the family, however, I'm still very curious as to the value of this anvil? I've searched the forum and can't find exactly what the "110" weight equates to, or what the "2" stands for.

I also thought that it was interesting that part of the stamp was upside down! Is that common?

Lastly, my stomach dropped after reading the "read this first" thread. I have already made the mistake of taking a 320 grit flap disk to the surface... AHHH:( have I removed too much of the face for this to be usable? I wish I would've stumbled across you guys beforehand, but too late I guess. Oh well.

thanks!

IMG_20180918_215344.jpg

IMG_20180918_215451.jpg

IMG_20180918_215410.jpg

IMG_20180918_215301.jpg

IMG_20180918_215432.jpg

IMG_20180918_215314.jpg

Welcome to the forum!  Don't panic about the flap disk.  At that grit unless you spent a lot of time and/or put a lot of force into your grinding you probably didn't take much more than the surface rust off.  Now you can finish the polishing job with hot steel.  Welcome to the addiction.

What Buzzkill said. You’ve got a nice Mousehole (aka The Undisputed King of Anvils), made between 1830 and 1835. The 1-1-0 mark means 140 pounds; look around for info on the hundredweight system. 

The upside-down stamp is unusual and a bit fun. People sometimes say that it’s the kind of mistake that gets made at the end of a shift when workers are tired and not paying attention, but it could simply be carelessness. 

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly! I am ecstatic that I didn't ruin this 180 year old anvil. I was actually in the process of getting a quote to machine it smooth, but with further investigation it seems I don't need perfect angles or edges? Cool. Either way I feel like I dodged a bullet there ;)

JHCC, I checked out the hundredweight system, interesting what people thought was a good way to count a couple centuries ago. Regarding the stamp, I find it hilarious that the "King of Anvils" could have such a blatant mistake on it. I love it. 

I haven't been able to find one at this weight for sale, do you know what it may be worth in this condition?

Edited by Mod34
Excessive quoting removed

Good Morning,

Received this Anvil from my Grandfather - equals - PRICELESS!!!!!!!!

Use it like you promised him you would. Enjoy it like he expects you will. Looking for a dollar value of a given object is extremely rude!!!

Get something HOT, have something to HOLD IT, use something to HIT IT WITH, Change the cross-section of one thing into another shape. Continue again and again trying. Present your Grandfather with one of your creations. He will have a smile between his ears that you can't wipe off!!!!! Priceless!!!!!!

Neil

You must have me mistaken! As I mentioned before, I have no intentions of ever getting rid of it, just purely curious. However, I guess "the Undisputed King of Anvils" is as much as I need to know as far as value goes. Thank you for that bit of wisdom. 

Now, I have something to get hot, I have a way to get it hot, and something to hit it with. I've been using a Big Pair of Channel-Locks to hold it. Is there something you'd recommend that would work better for the "HOLD IT" part??

Cheers :D

Edited by Mod34
Excessive quoting removed

If you can’t hold it, you can’t hit it. There are some good discussions here on tong recommendations for beginners; check them out. 

You got the anvil for free and it's a nice one....

There is no reason you should be using channel locks.  It is dangerous and makes forging much harder.  Spend a little on some decent tongs and make blacksmithing safer and much more fun for yourself.  

Then show us what you make!

I've had this for a few years now and have never been able to figure out what the make is. The numbers on the side look like 1 1 18, but it's hard to read the last number. The best guess I've got for the lettering on the side is that it looks sort of like the top line ends with RODEUS (I'm only sure about the D and S, though) and there are certainly letters before that, but I can't make them out. There's also some lettering below that line, but all I can make out is ANTE. It has served my purposes well, though, even if I have no idea when or where it was made. The cat seems to approve, too.

IMG_4675 - Copy.JPG

WP_20130824_002_01.thumb.jpg.731c140db8ae7ae49d07a537af556c8b.jpg

IMG_0367 - Copy.jpg

WP_20151115_004.jpg

Wallace i’m not sure the maker but I like it and it’s s nice anvil. 

Very compact and reminiscent of a  Mouse Hole in shape, do lots of sweet spot to work over.

And it looks OLD to me, but that’s just a hunch based on shape.

A very modest one.

Making a new bale for one of my wife’s cast iron Dutch ovens (on the assembly table).

The vintage ones have a diamond on the end upswept The diamond is just taken from the round stock with no upset to a larger size. the diamonds are the same thickness as the parent stock..   Very easy to make in the vise with and small upset as this wont' crush the round very much.. a split die for the vise is even better.. 

I'd practice on a few ends to perfect the technique and boom.. Nicely done.. :) 

20180925_053615.jpg