I Forge Iron

Show me your anvil

Good idea..  Anvils should last many lifetimes and if it's a good design the little bit softer face isn't a big deal for a skilled smith..   I've worked on mild steel with no ill effects  as long as there are no bad hammer blows but this is the same as a 60RC anvil face it just means instead of having a dent you have shrapnel and a mini explosion in the face of the anvil instead.. 

When do we get to see the 2X horn model?   

Pattern is done so I should be able to pour one late this week or early next. I will get a photo out once I have a casting. Lots of interest in it and doing one in that shape in the 225 lb range. 400 lbs is not a big casting for us so it should work fine. 

I am interested in seeing what you come up with..  If you are still accepting patterns to pour I might go that way..   Looking forwards to both models..   I'm not a fan of a completely flat face.. Do you need to have it machined before heat treat?  Or could the face be left as cast?  

Frosty, thank you for the kind words. My lady is good with a camera and the sound is super cool for sure. Cheers

12 hours ago, jlpservicesinc said:

I am interested in seeing what you come up with..  If you are still accepting patterns to pour I might go that way..   Looking forwards to both models..   I'm not a fan of a completely flat face.. Do you need to have it machined before heat treat?  Or could the face be left as cast?  

The as cast face is drafted from the center line outward, it is drafted for molding. It is also a cast, rough finish. I would like to help you out but not sure it would be an ideal set up. I can shoot you a pic if you care to see it. 

3 minutes ago, foundryguy said:

Frosty, thank you for the kind words. My lady is good with a camera and the sound is super cool for sure. Cheers

Please offer my personal attagirl for doing such a nice job. Seriously she even made you're part look okay. :P

Frosty The Lucky.

Just now, Frosty said:

Please offer my personal attagirl for doing such a nice job. Seriously she even made you're part look okay. :P

Frosty The Lucky.

haha, i just sent her a note on it. Thanks! 

2 minutes ago, jlpservicesinc said:

Love to..  All of the Hay Budden  Anvils over 150lbs had a slight crown to the face..  I got used to it and the Peddinghaus 275 I have now is pretty flat.. :)   Love pictures.. 

I will get them too you, thanks. 

hello. new here, new to blacksmithing, but work in a related field of machining.

don't have the coin for a nc machine at home, but I need something to do.  

so I picked this up today.  

Edges are kind of rough, but reading here yall said to check for ping and bounce back.  they felt good so I grabbed it.  

Have no idea what it is, seller claimed peter wright, either way should be more than enough for a rookie.

Next is setting up the heat.  I will post over there.  Take care. -Mic

20180428_1515401-e1524956066756.jpg

20180428_1515521-e1524956094119.jpg

I've shown it before, but now it is being used.  It was my uncle Marv's and his father Ed before him who was a blacksmith in Fulton Illinois in the mid 20's.  Frosty was right all those years ago when he told me to clean the top by hammering hot metal, or words to that effect.  The top is all burnished silver.  Seeing "Marv" makes me think of my uncle and remember him fondly.  

forge136a.jpg

I only have a few of my Father's tools Mike, it feels good to use them. One of these days I'll get my lathe set up in the shop and have something to do with some of the other things he left me. 

5 hours ago, JlBlohm said:

My trio.

Nice but a little too close together for me. You must be REALLY skinny! :o

Beautiful ladies you have.

Frosty The Lucky.