I Forge Iron

Show me your anvil

• 2 weeks later...

I picked this beauty up today!!  This is my first anvil ever.  Before this I was using some railroad track and a 10kg lump of steel shaped like an anvil.  This is an 84# kohlswa.  There are a few very minor dings in it but overall it is in great condition and I can't wait to put this to work tomorrow!

IMG_20190113_181736_444.jpg

20190113_181431.jpg

Hey Shoshinjoe, fellow Australian, welcome and congratulations on the Kohlswa! A finer anvil you will not find! (But I am biased because my work anvil is a K). Have you done a rebound test on it? 95% for sure.

We had Swedish visitors to my forge recently and they said that the town still exists, but it is Kolsva.

Hey ausfire, cheers mate.  I have not done a rebound test, but as soon as i come across a ball bearing i will do one.  From the research i did i knew i could not pass this up.  As you probably know anvil prices and quality here are all over the place, so i am pretty happy i found this one

Im going to clean up the face today and get to work as soon as possible

Nice score anywhere you go! When you say clean the face up I hope you're not talking about taking a disk grinder to it! I don't know what you see as dings but I don't see anything that needs more than wiped off with a rag and put to work. Hammering hot steel on her will put a shine of that fine Swedish lady's face in no time. 

Don't worry about the chips from the edges, cast Swedish steel anvils are famous for being hard enough the edges chip rather easily if you miss a hard blow and actually hit the anvil's edge. Use it a while before deciding but anvils should NOT have sharp square edges, it causes problems when setting shoulders. A sharp inside corner is a stress riser and tends to initiate breaks if flexed. Think scoring glass before snapping it, same thing going on. 

So most of us radius the edges we're going to forge directly over, setting shoulders being a prime example. A useful method is to grind different radii so you have a good selection. 

Okay, hopefully you won't do any grinding on the face, the rest of that fine lady could use a good wire brushing and a coating. I like a cup brush in a small angle grinder and paste carnuba floor wax as a rust preventative. Boiled linseed oil is another good choice as is Johnson's furniture polish. Bees wax is popular but remains tacky for a long time. 

I have a Soderfors, Swedish cast anvil. Prepare to be spoiled by a truly top shelf anvil. You WILL, I promise, start keeping a little cash stash in case you see another Kohlswa or luck into a Soderfors. The only time I use another make anvil is if I'm testing it or mine isn't available. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty, thanks for the tips.  After a bit more reading last night I realized I should not touch the face at all.  I was going to wire brush it.  But saw a few posts saying just use it.  The dings in the edges don't bother me at all and the edges are pretty nicely radiused though very small radii.  And I have some boiled linseed oil read to go.

I missed out on a 169 lbs Soderfors by the skin of my teeth, for a ridiculously good price.  So lesson learned, I should have jumped on it immediately.  The fund for something like that has already begun.

Cheers

On 1/18/2019 at 10:14 AM, foundryguy said:

My newest creation. H13, 230 lbs, 52 to 55 Rc. 

Another beautiful anvil, ALL sweet spot! Too bad I'm too old and lazy to need anywhere near that much anvil. 

Oh MY, Jeniffer! I'm adding that up to 292 lbs. in my head. What a SWEET score! 

Yes, the dovetails are to receive bottom tooling for various steps in production blade smithing. A video of a British bladesmith using one of these has been posted, I wish I remembered the name or location of the link. . . . Somebody with an undented head please?

I don't need another anvil but I'd clear space and build that beauty a stand soonest.

Frosty The Lucky.

7 hours ago, jlpservicesinc said:

Glued joints?  

Nay, just heavily screwed (wood screws).  There is a 2x4 sub-frame under the box and I routed out the shape of the anvil foot into the top about 1/8 inch and used silicon to keep the anvil in it.  I thought maybe the silicone would reduce the ringing some but it doesn't appear to do so.  All in all a pretty solid base.  If I painted it with high temp paint to help avoid fire issues it could be a keeper.