I Forge Iron

Show me your anvil

Nice old Mousehole.  If you are interested in the history of Mousehole anvils and the Mousehole Forge in England, I recommend you borrow or buy Richard Postman's book, Mousehole Forge.  Fascinating reading even if you aren't a history buff...being a smith is reason enough.

What a joy to work on. I spent 8-9 hours on it Saturday working different projects. The difference in rebound from what I had been using cut the fatigue factor down. I would have been out there yesterday except for blizzard conditions. I have contacted the local library to see if they can find a copy of Mousehole Forge.

There is nothing wrong with using make do tools, as the cost can be minimal.

If you decide you want to continue blacksmithing, or want to move up to better tools, you have time to look around and get the best you can afford. All the practice and hammer time you invested into the make do tool is experience, and working around any problems.

You can get spoiled quickly after you get to know the new tool, and figure out what it can do. 

Here's my anvil, it's a truncated Wilkinson's Queens Dudley. From the weight stamp, it was 213Lbs originally, before it lost it's heel. It's right about 185Lbs now, so still a nice weight. (I've since taking these photos cleaned up the face a bit with some hot steel :))

002.thumb.JPG.4e4ab60785db5150ea4ef44325317697.JPG

It is really nice to use compared to the piece of rail I was previously using, and I got it for 125$, which seems like a good deal to me (67.6 cents/lb).

Kudos, very nice anvils can be seen in here. For me this isn't possible just yet, but have made my own starter anvil from a piece of railroad track. Hopefully it's okay to post this here too.

First picture is a collection of my diy starterset, clean and painted, second is mounted on the stand and trying a few starter projects.

1385470142_Currentsetup.thumb.jpg.96195b8b267ab10f5de9c627c98239c7.jpg 2043594987_DIY_AnvilStand.thumb.jpg.7feb06f1014017a4539cc0f4f797eab0.jpg

On 11/5/2018 at 3:52 PM, Kellerbomb said:

Routed the footprint in the base of 8x8's

Use your router and go deeper. Deep enough to put an inch or so of sand in the bottom and the base is seated at least half its height. The sand will deaden the ring and makes it easy to level your anvil. You should not need any other fasteners to hold your anvil in place.

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, phxfirefighter said:

John in Phx

We won't remember that once leaving this post, hence the suggestion to edit your profile to show location. Also there are members from all over the world and will not know what PHx stands for. I agree with jlp probably for a power hammer but it is an anvil for sure.