I Forge Iron

Show me your vise

Glenn

• 1 month later...

Hello again,
Here is my leg vice which I bought from a farm auction a couple of years back for A$90. The leg was bent but not broken; ditto the handle; there was no plate/bracket with which to bolt anywhere; and the spring was missing. I repaired all that and fitted it to a pipe upright which I welded to a truck rim, found dumpster diving! I purposely left the leg clear of the floor so it doesn't get damaged when rolling the base about. A solid block of hardwood with a mating hole slots underneath, and ensures the vice is solid in use.
In this pic I have my anvil stored on top of the rim, a temporary measure to clear floor space.
My next job on it is to make a circular rack for hammers and tongs about the same diameter as the rim. I aim to have it removable, socket the legs into holes in the rim and somewhere up top too.

Cheers,
Makoz

7724.attach

• 3 weeks later...

I picked this vise up some years ago but didn't have anywhere to put it. With the shop slowly coming into harness I decided it was time to repair it and start teaching it it's job.

A trip to the beauty parlor was her reward for letting me have my way with her. She's a 4" Colombian w/new spring, wedges and paint.

Frosty

8031.attach

8032.attach

• 2 weeks later...

Here's my new 6" jaw, 100 pounder, on it's base. I'm going to add a 2" receiver hitch tube onto the back, to slide into my bench but the bench is going through some changes in height so I'll wait till that gets finished. Suprisingly... it's fairly stable on it's own for only having a 1/4" thick base plate.
The bottom base plate is a piece of scrap from an earlier project, that's what the holes are for.

8180.attach

• 1 year later...

Did you know that the makers of the Peter Wright anvil also made vises? Here are 2 shots of the one I have. Notice the large overhang on either end. A good sign it's a Peter Wright. Also they had a "solid wrought box", which is stamped on the box.

If you can it's best to mount your vise on a solid post that extends about 36" into the ground and postioned behind your anvil so you have a working triangle from your forge, anvil and vise. This makes for less steps between them. All of the old smiths I knew thirty years ago called the vise the right hand of the smith because they are so useful. It amazes me the number of shops I've seen that don't have one. I don't know how they get anything done without it.

18898.attach

18899.attach

Did you know that the makers of the Peter Wright anvil also made vises? Here are 2 shots of the one I have. Notice the large overhang on either end. A good sign it's a Peter Wright. Also they had a "solid wrought box", which is stamped on the box.

If you can it's best to mount your vise on a solid post that extends about 36" into the ground and postioned behind your anvil so you have a working triangle from your forge, anvil and vise. This makes for less steps between them. All of the old smiths I knew thirty years ago called the vise the right hand of the smith because they are so useful. It amazes me the number of shops I've seen that don't have one. I don't know how they get anything done without it.

Wow, that looks exactly like one of my vices. If I didn't know better I'd say it was a picture of mine and with the "solid wrought box" stamp on the box it must be another Peter Wright.
If you look it all over you can see it was entirely hand forged.

Having purchased an Anvil some months ago, I stalled in the process of starting up, mainly due to time and money, but travelling through country Victoria in a quaint town called Burra, I stopped at an atique store and found the leg vice sitting in the back, works a treat, no play in the screw, nice and firm, the vice is 5 inch and i thought it was a bargain at $90.

19128.attach

Just out of curiosity, Is there anyone out there that knows of another 9" or something bigger? Someday I am going to put this on a stand but its not really useful for me at the moment. Its just way to dang much work to deal with a big vise, My 6 3/4 is about as big as I need and I find a 5.5 to 6" is ideal for most things. The only thing I can think of is like doing Darryl's animal heads it would be nice to have a really stout vise for the chisel work.. at 215 lbs this vise is heaver that a lot of anvils! Swinging that three foot long handle around half a dozen times to get it clamped on a hot chunk will cure you of wanting a big vise.... Especially if you clock yourself in the chin once or twice

Although not a post vise, I recently won this old Athol at an auction for 30 bucks. It has the number 614 on the other side. I it was covered with grease and would not turn. After I tore it down completely and cleaned it up I found it was in real good shape. There is still very good knurling on the jaws. I chose not to paint it. I like the old patina.

19328.attach

19329.attach