I Forge Iron

Show me your vise

Glenn

I really like a high and low also.. I also like to have a large vise 6-8" and a smallish 3-4" jawed vise mounted down lower for forging on.. 

In the trailer most of it is based on a compromise of what i can do with the space effectively..   When I mounted the small vise on the forge it opened up another avenue which on my masonry forge was out..   

There is something to say for welding and fabrication skills and creating larger items which don't need forgings.. 

The big vise is taller than I like for smithing, but its also lower than I like for filing..  I had originally thought about making a lift devise when used for filing and then locked down when hammering on it..  At some point I might do that.. But, once the shop goes up the trailer will strictly be for demos vs main shop as it is used for now.. 

5 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

A filing vise is at a different height than a pounding vise. As I have several postvises in my shop they are at different heights. (Note that the heights are based on the person using it so asking someone else what height their vise is at is of little value unless you both have identical builds. ) 

absolutely

On 1/30/2019 at 2:36 AM, jlpservicesinc said:

Few realize this, but the leg should be on the ground in a hole

Where did you find the slip fit tubing?  Or what sizes did you order to get the fit? 

Yup. Our license plate frames should read: "My Other Anvil is a Leg Vise"

JLP, I was just about to post here when I saw your question:

image.thumb.jpeg.2f2d139913241743e102d72805e9563e.jpeg

These are standard Steel Supplier sizes 2" x 2" x .187" or .250" wall (inside tube), & 2.5" x 2.5" x .187" or .250" wall (outside tube). Standard stock for Trailer Hitch Ball and Receiver Sets, Trailer Axles, and Mobile Home Leveling Stands (see images) .250" wall  makes for a very close sliding fit. If permitted to rust - good luck getting them apart!

On 1/30/2019 at 11:46 AM, marcusb said:

Since my typing finger is warmed up, here is a bench vise you can beat on!

Nice Rock Island - my little tiny 625 is pretty tough too.  Nice looking dirt out there where you live......

On 1/30/2019 at 7:41 AM, ThomasPowers said:

A filing vise is at a different height than a pounding vise.

Yep.

And here is the next "Mock-Up"Grade to my receiver hitch vise:

image.jpeg.ad3f3a8dcc26f286cd6b604ad16b3230.jpeg

The mounting post is pre-loaded by the weight of the pickup bed:

image.jpeg.20ddaaae1c62b16f698649306c5a936c.jpeg

20190130_162326.jpg

20190130_162414.jpg

20190130_165023.jpg

Thanks for the info..  I personally have never had any luck when I go to the steel supplier with getting such tight fits.. 

One guy I get metal from buys receiver tubing which has no inside seam but other than him. I have tried to match out up and usually fail with with having to remover weld seams and such..  2" id is rarely 2" unless you remove the inside weld seam and grind of the corners of of the 2"sq bar.. 

Looks like you do a lot of this type of fabrication.. Makes sense if you ask me.. 

What sizes do you find have a reasonable fit without having to remove the inner weld seam?    1/4" wall, 3.5 should take a 3" piece right? Maybe i'm just looking at it backwards.

Thanks.. :) 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/1/2019 at 5:05 PM, jlpservicesinc said:

What sizes do you find have a reasonable fit

Hello JLP.  When I first started using the WWW, for my job, back in 2001 (I know Thomas, Late Bloomer) I could find virtually Anything, and I could find it quick. By 2006, I was beginning to notice a change. Had to be more specific, or in some cases, more obscure in my search terms.

Alas, now, the Internet, to me, seems a shadow of its former self. I searched for that spec for hours, even found one vague hit without cross-reference or continuity. So I began to search for my coveted Ryerson Data Book. Must have fallen into one of those black holes where we put stuff that we want to be able to find quickly.

Yesterday, I went to my Supplier, And bought 10' of what they call "Receiver Hitch Tube",  note the non-standard dimensions on the bill of sale:

20190225_190913.jpg

This is the only Specie they carry.

Finally found my Data Book in a "Safe Place":

20190226_073325.jpg

For those who find the above difficult to read: It is ASTM A500 Grade B, Cold Formed Welded and Seamless Carbon Steel structural tubing.

If I ever am successful in locating more of the product line,  i will shout it from the rooftop. With luck, a knowledgeable Forum Member will enlighten us.

On 2/16/2019 at 8:05 PM, Glenn said:

A simple wedge

Glenn, great illustration.

Robert Taylor

Yup,  It's been my experience that the sizes if not used with receiver tubing will be off..  Receiver tubing is a mandrel product only concerned with the inside ID and it has no weld seam or very little of it..  

One of my local guys carries it but it's pricey and is the reason I was hoping you had more info.. I tried to get my local supplier to order me some but they only deal in stock metal sizes and when I asked him about it he claimed they just use the steel that has a 2" id..   I got messed up on a project because they are totally different.. Well. I mean steel being steel.. Not one of the 2" sq pieces had had would fit the tubing and of course never bothered to check till the job was completed.. :( 

I then found a company that sells slip tubing..  that the tubing itself is designed to be a slip fit with out the slop...    But one has to order a certain amount and lost track.. the usual miss placed info falling to the back of the pile..  I hate paper work and have stacks of the stuff.. 

Anyhow.. Thanks for checking..  

• 1 month later...

Finally made the stand and got it mounted. I just need to secure the bottom of the leg(the foot?). Super excited to have a vise to put by the forge now. I'm gonna weld up my twisting wrenches and make mounts for the on the side or put a board/shelf along the top. 

image.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Acquired my first post vice. Found it at our beloved Avon Flea Market. It looks like the foot may have been cut, but aside from that it's in excellent condition. The screw is in beautiful condition, the still a little bit of tooth on the jaw surfaces, the spring is springy, and there are no bends on the handle to indicate abuse. It's a smaller vise but I'm thrilled to have it and excited to get it mounted soon. Can finally stop abusing my bench vise. On one of the jaws I can make out the words in variable degrees of wear in this order:

Columbian Cleveland Original Trenton 1903 35

Is 1903 the year it was manufactured, or does that indicate something else?0519191126c.thumb.jpg.4e1d9dff86beaec0c63801847b886280.jpg

I picked this Vise up from a gentleman a few towns away a month or so ago. I cleaned it and built the stand for it, and have enjoyed its use since. The anvil you see in the picture I bought from a shoe factory that went out of business in my home town when I was 18 years old. I am now almost 40, and as it turns out the vise I recently bought came out of the same shop as the anvil. So these two tools have been reunited, and are working hot metal again. 

DG Vise 1.png

DG Vise 2.png

Thanks P.R.S. 

I am just glad the stars aligned and I was able to put it back in use. 

As an aside:

The other vise in the picture is the first one I bought. It has the same jaw length 5 1/2" as the vise  featured in the picture but is half the weight. I have aluminum jaw covers that are removable made for both vises, they work great when upsetting metal in the vise as the do not allow the metal to slip as much. They really work well. I made them out of aluminum angle. If any of you find work slipping in your vise jaws I would give them a try. 

W