I Forge Iron

Show me your vise

Glenn

You can buy a brand new one just like it today and they're NOT cheap. Excellent bench vises just do NOT hammer on them, they are NOT anvils nor do they play one on TV. Seriously, the anvil and horn shape on the rear aren't one. They must be an heirloom shape from the days when catalog sales carried one tool does it all blacksmith shops in a box. A picture of one was  posted here a couple days ago, well the "anvil" portion that is. Check out a Sears catalog from the beginning of the 20th. cent or earlier, every farm needed a blacksmith shop and Sears sold one that came in one multi purpose tool kit thingy.

Anyway, please don't take chances of damaging that fine vise. Keep an eye open for a heavy block of steel we'll help you set it up and learn to use it as an anvil. 

Frosty The Lucky.

I never hammer on it, I only use it for fairly light work like filing, sanding, or for bending rings for making chainmail. It's a joy to work with! The only thing I use the "anvil" section for is shaping thin copper sheets. Some owner before me must have hit the jaws a bit too hard and cracked off the casting supporting the rear jaw (you can see that it's missing in the photo).

This is what I use as an anvil:

001.thumb.JPG.53e035bc6184976ac2236e12cb72113e.JPG

003.thumb.JPG.5e6d23f12c46c1afea64231eb6756b31.JPG

It's a piece of rail (I don't think it's from a normal train, it seems too small), and, ironically, the back of a vise. I got it for 20 dollars because it's missing the whole front jaw. The vise says on the side "Patented Sept 22, 1914". Here's what it originally looked like:

image.png.86a4bea4614b4cad69429ffb77cd35b8.png

I use the rail piece for most stuff, and then the vise for bending things (because it has a horn).

Here’s mine. I picked it up at Quad State 2018. It’s an Indian Chief from Columbus Forge & Tool in 1903. I built the stand but the vise was in good clean shape when I got it. There must have been over 100 of them to choose from. A great place to shop.

42C69347-2745-4AFB-9242-1A2912A9F666.jpeg

• 2 months later...
On 10/15/2018 at 6:07 PM, Hibby said:

Here’s mine.

Very Nice, Hibby.  And by the way, very nice welds on that column splice, and the gussets - not your first rodeo, eh?

Here is my little Rock Island 625. Jaws 3" wide x 3" opening, $45 on that list thing. one lug broken off and re-attached by some previous individual, with some sort of copper-based braze. Poor execution, but pretty tough joint - so far. One can see the braze there adjacent to the swivel lock. Anvil Face, Horn, and Pritchel all highly functional within their rated capacity.

This tool really has to get around. Abrasive metal removal must be done out of doors - my call - and nothing to do with my love of working outside:rolleyes:. The goezintas are borrowed from another modular system that I built some 20 years ago, for hauling trees.

Indoors, the vise is secured well with those hammer-on clips. Limited space.  Everything at this job must be mobile and convertible.

Merry Christmas,

Robert Taylor

20181207_142529-800x600Resize.jpg

20181207_142550-800x600Resize.jpg

20181211_195150800x600Resize.jpg

20181211_195238800x600Resize.jpg

20181211_195337800x600Resize.jpg

20181211_195410800x600Resize.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

Love it.. If you can put a rock or a block of wood under that angle bracket on the bottom..  

Few realize this, but the leg should be on the ground in a hole cut into the floor or on a special cast iron plate that was bolted to the floor.. 

The mounting bracket was to hold the vise, spring from twisting or rotating, but the leg/foot was to carry the weight of the vise and any force put onto it..  The mounting bracket was not designed to hold any weight or downward force.. 

On 12/28/2018 at 1:33 PM, Anachronist58 said:

Thanks Slag and JLP - Happy New Year!

Where did you find the slip fit tubing?  Or what sizes did you order to get the fit? 

Happy New Year to you and the Mrs too.. 

3 hours ago, jlpservicesinc said:

Few realize this, but the leg should be on the ground in a hole cut into the floor or on a special cast iron plate that was bolted to the floor.. 

So true.

I fabricated a stand out of some scraps I had to mount my post vise in my dirt floored shop. I'm only 6 feet tall and find post vises to high for comfortable hammering. I set them in the ground. Once the concrete cured I cut the leg pipe off at the ground and its as solid as a tree stump. 

IMG_3470.JPG

IMG_3471.JPG

IMG_3496.JPG

Vises were made with different heights and were mounted at different heights depending what they were used for.  A filing vise is at a different height than a pounding vise. As I have several postvises in my shop they are at different heights. (Note that the heights are based on the person using it so asking someone else what height their vise is at is of little value unless you both have identical builds. )  You can of course use a vise that is a bit off proper height for a project; but it's amazing how much nicer it is working with a vise at the proper height for You and what You are doing.  (I even have a small platform to stand on if I want to use one of my large vises for punching or drifting.)