I Forge Iron

Show me your Bottle Openers!

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was cruising back through years and pages on this thread and I came across several tentacle bottle openers and I saw quite a few that’s pretty awesome, 

im really curious how the suckers are made? Are the suckers welded on with a arc welder and then punched? Or is there another process For adding them?

I saw a jig on pg 59 for punching but I didn’t see anything about how the raised circle sucker material is made before it was punched. 

JHCC, thank you for sharing that video,

There’s a few parts of that video that seem a little bit odd to me (I’m probably gonna skip the stretches and the holding method) 

but overall it answered my question. On how it’s done! And it gives me some ideas on something new to add for some nautical projects I’ve been wanting to do!

JHCC, I didn’t realize that was a real technique, I thought everyone just used hold downs, but I guess it makes sense because the stock was longer

Daswulf, ive got a flux core welder that I’m gonna attempt to use for this project, I don’t think it welds as pretty beads as the gas hook up migs but I figured it was worth a shot. 

On 8/10/2021 at 8:45 AM, Chad J. said:

Should be able to reverse polarity on a stick welder 

Chad,

reversing the polarity usually creates a cutting effect with most stick welders, use your regular rods, with less amps, and hold in the same spot to build up

On 8/7/2021 at 9:13 AM, TWISTEDWILLOW said:

JHCC, I didn’t realize that was a real technique, I thought everyone just used hold downs, but I guess it makes sense because the stock was longe

Hold downs are great but when you have something like a wriggly tentacle I suspect it could be almost if not totally impossible to hold it in place to punch each weld bead. The crotch clamp is much more versatile and faster. 

A good thing to think about with tongs, hold-downs, and the like is to have them hold as many sizes and shapes as they can without sacrificing a secure grip. Once the grip is compromised, make another with a different size and/or shape. 

On the other hand, if you're going to be doing a LOT of a particular size and shape, there's nothing wrong with having a tool dedicated to that size and no other (e.g., 3/8" round). 

The central point is that if you can't hold it, you can't hit it.

JHCC, I see your point I wasn’t planning on forging a bunch of these so it wouldn’t make since to make a hold down for a specific one time project, so it definitely makes sense to make a hold down that fits a lot of other things to, so maybe I can use this and then after heat it up an work it to a v so I can use it on other stock later

Thomas, Ive read Glenn’s post on space and time and apart from getting a good laugh out of it I definitely see his point

and I’d rather not have my face occupying the same space as a piece of metal at the same time! 

• 2 months later...