I Forge Iron

Show me your Bottle Openers!

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome aboard Daniel, glad to have you. Is that the down under Adelaide or the other one over yonder? 

How long have you been smithing or wanting to get started? Know what you'd like to make? 

Frosty The Lucky.

• 1 month later...

Here are a couple recent openers.

The hammer pendant one I made over the weekend. It was my backup stock for a custom Thor's hammer order from Etsy (pendant image included). The opener was made from 3/4" square bar. I always love this twist, not sure the proper name for it.. Was tough doing the veins... I did it after the hammer and opener ends were basically finished. On the flat it was not so bad... but the ones where it was on its side was tougher. Lucky my old Vulcan anvil was a perfect on the horn step down flat.

Another one I made is a Tentacle made from rail spike. I didn't intend to make it an opener, but a couple friends commented on my Instagram post giving me the idea. First one inspired me to make the hook on  the big end. I welded a chunk to it and ground it down till it worked well. Then another friend commented on how it looked like the skinny end was perfect for hooking the cap. It wasn't my intent, but I reworked it until it did grab the cap. So I am gifting this to the first friend who has flowed me a bunch of welding supplies and knowledge.

20200419_194732-sm.jpg

20200419_194736-sm.jpg

20200419_194757-sm.jpg

20200419_194826-sm.jpg

20200419_154236.jpg

20200411_214614-sm.jpg

20200411_214546-sm.jpg

IMG_20200411_174613_800.jpg

Brilliant. The tentacle spike opener is just amazing … not only decorative but also very functional. The top twist I call a spaghetti twist, as suggested by a young visitor to my forge.

In my smithy we would call that a reversed incised twist.  If you do a lot that length you can make a hardy block to work them on.

Making incised twists is one of the reasons I have a chain hold down as I noticed that with someone holding I could generally do one side in one heat; but with it free floating I took several heats as a lot of time was wasted chasing the piece.  My chain hold down has a piece of 1/2" sq stock on the "free" end so I can step on it with my foot  mainly on the ground to have a stable stance for working rather than a stirrup.  The sq stock is 22" long so it will accommodate a bunch of different thickness work pieces before I need to adjust the chain length.

Lovely tentacle!  I could see it displayed wrapped around a Barbie doll wearing a bikini...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Friend gave me the springs and sway bar from his high school car, a 1983 cutlass. I cut the end of the sway bar off and tried to leave it recognizable as possible. A heavy duty opener for sure. He will be delighted. 

AE027583-9C7F-4B92-BA42-873E19D16279.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

$20 as a starter and more for ornamented ones!   I've find wrenches pretty often at the scrapyard.  Particularly after a move or estate "clean out the garage".  I keep the unplated ones for stock and hang the plated ones up on a garden rack mounted to a set of shelves.

rake2.jpg.50e1ee6a73d8ac3c700fd0f879ed9432.jpg

Top english, bottom metric, no whitworth!  I'm ready for the Grandkids to visit and start losing my tools!  (My good ones are hidden away in a drawer...)

I bend the times up a bit more using the stake anvil on the left. Cheap rakes cold, good rakes hot.

1038456347_stake_anvils(2).jpg.ca7c5b1fc6d21142cb56576ea98aea43.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Here's my first attempt , and of course I go about it the hardest way possible, From starting with a 3/4" bolt, and flattening the head.....  I'll do it differently next time.  It came out all wonky, and I don't have  a bottle to try it on. (time for a store run)

IMG_20200607_180716393 (Copy).jpg

Uisce beatha, pronounced ish-ka-byha-ha.(the "y" pronouncd like in "ya'll", not as an "why" sound) That is Irish for whiskey. Means water of life. It is also where we get the word whiskey from. 

Love me a good Irish spirit over crushed ice. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...