Arbalist

Show me your Bottle Openers!

That's neat, reminds me of a neck tie. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Here's my first bottle opener that works, the hole is a little small for my tastes but it was made from rusty scrap that wasn't useful for much else so it's good in my book. Out of the 3 bottles I opened with it only 1 had to be pried twice. I cleaned it up with an angle grinder and smoothed it out with 500grit sandpaper. I got the color from leaving it on my wood stove overnight 

IMG_20180323_235939685~2.jpg

IMG_20180323_235955692~2.jpg

On 4/9/2018 at 7:27 PM, Jonah k said:

Made this as a gift this weekend.

Looks great Jonah.  sort of mid century modern look. 

Young bloke who works with me occasionally wanted to make a rail spike bottle opener. I gave him a wrought iron one, thinking he would find it a frustrating learning experience. To my surprise he actually managed to make it work. Not a bad effort I reckon:

DSC_8973.JPG

Why did I suddenly flash to a large steel scorpion sidling up to a wine bottle, grabbing it with it's pincers while extracting it's cork with a corkscrew in it's tail...Must go out and spend more time in the sun... 

Now there is a tricky idea to make. It'd have to be quite strong and comfortable enough to hold and pull on. Shoot, all I was thinking was to make a bottle opener like this with the threaded opener part being the scorpions head. 

15 hours ago, Daswulf said:

Not bad for wrought Aus.

Yeah, he did well. And I think it's nice that he's made himself a touchmark. Shows a bit of pride.

With all these bottle openers I felt it was worth a bit of a safety message.    I have made a few that work just fine most of the time to remove caps from bottles.  But if you make the opening just a little too big you can actually open the bottle by tearing the top of the bottle cap / glass and all off.   This would make a not so attentive bottle opener user susceptible to drinking from a glass shard bottle top.   Kinda ruins the party ehh?    And considering what is in the bottle that most of us are referencing one could see how the state of mind and/or physical control one might progress to that it could at some point actually promote this potential.   Put more succinctly - one who is drinking alcohol might tend to do this and not notice it until it was too late!   So take care when testing your openers for this potential.

Does anyone have a dimension they stick too or some sort of go/no go test they use to avoid this???

I use a 32 mm / 1-1/4" dia piece of steel to test the hole dia with. (Before forging in the tab/tongue.) It works for me. :)

Bests:

Gergely

I do the same thing as Gergely. I have a steel drift tapered both ends with a centre diameter of 28mm. When it drives through the loop (it just clears the hardy hole) you know the opener is the right size. Then I forge the tab and flatten the top a little.  I guess that's like a go/no go test.

As above, I have a drift that's exactly the right size. Drift through, and flatten the tab indentation with a purpose made punch.

No idea what the diameter actually is, I just grabbed a big bit of mild round bar, tapered, and it just happened to be correct.

Here's one from today's demo. I wanted the wrap to stand out more from the cubes, so the original cuts on each face of the square bar were widened with a grinder. I think it worked well enough and it's comfortable in the hand after a wire wheel took the edge of some of those cubes.

rope twist.JPG

Love the texture on the middle one. Hammered into a textured die?