I Forge Iron

Show me your Bottle Openers!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After hangin out with daswulf yesterday and learning a few new tricks and tips, and making a punch/drift for bottle openers..... i made my first successful bottle opener today..... it wanted to be a little devilish, so i had to dress him accordingly with horns and a tail......  the first pic are the ones me and das made last night. Second pic is mine from today.

1488080161862-1927318744.jpg

1488080989737-1054755421.jpg

I am still making a few bottle openers though I am not sure I am going to be selling them anymore.  These are the latest I have been working on.  I have sort of abandoned the more elaborate ones I had been making in the past for simpler forms, concentrating on achieving the best execution that I can.

1.jpg

2.jpg

looks like a regular tie to me and it is a neat design...Just the thing for Father's Day instead of the regular tie....

(as a sales gimmick I would go down to the thrift store and buy the most atrocious ties they have cheap and then package the bottle opener with the tie...)

12 hours ago, beammeupscotty said:

I am still making a few bottle openers though I am not sure I am going to be selling them anymore.  These are the latest I have been working on.  I have sort of abandoned the more elaborate ones I had been making in the past for simpler forms, concentrating on achieving the best execution that I can.

Those are really well executed pieces, again, Beammeup! I like this tie shape, too, because it makes possible lots of decoration types.

I'm sorry to hear you had to lower your opener making and only can hope it is so from some positive reasons. Best wishes to you:

Gergely

On ‎7‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 4:22 AM, JimsShip said:

Aus, I've seen the rams head tutorials where they cut down the sides of material towards the face, and lift up and curl to make the horns,  but it doesn't look like you'd have enough material for that, did you split the end and fold it over for the head?
It looks awesome.

Sorry Jim, I seem to have missed this question.

Yes, the ram heads I make start from a split about 40mm down the middle of a (slightly flattened) 12mm square bar. Bend them out then fold over about 25mm of the bar to form the head.

Finished this one last night and had to test it on three beers before I got the tooth just right!

People think being a blacksmith is easy work, but they don't see all the trouble we have to go through to get things working properly.

IMG_5308.thumb.JPG.5120c3742c8a7e3d596915a87ac385a0.JPG

IMG_5307.thumb.JPG.ef632c8f7b7e79abd15c8deebd60c1d9.JPG

23 hours ago, Frosty said:

Cool opener Vaughn, nice application of processes. Gotta get things right quality control is Soooo important. I wish I could get one right in only 3 beers! :blink:

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks, Frosty.  Folks don't understand that a lot of the cost involved in bottle openers is actually the testing that goes into making sure they operate properly! :D

20 hours ago, Daswulf said:

Yup that's a cool design Vaughn! 

Thank you.  Came up with it a few years ago as a way of demonstrating some of the fundamental movements in a product that people could use every day.  They don't sell worth a hoot, but everyone seems to like the look.   I hate whoever came up with twist-off bottle caps! :(

I was thinking that we should mark our bottle openers that have been "proof tested"  Perhaps we could use the same mark to indicate it has been tested.  I was thinking of an OK in a circle, small say 1/4"  or we could use PT but then I get in the issue of stamping TPPT and start sounding like Bill the cat...

Thomas testing in one as he types...

On 3/11/2017 at 3:51 PM, VaughnT said:

Finished this one last night and had to test it on three beers before I got the tooth just right!

People think being a blacksmith is easy work, but they don't see all the trouble we have to go through to get things working properly.

IMG_5308.thumb.JPG.5120c3742c8a7e3d596915a87ac385a0.JPG

IMG_5307.thumb.JPG.ef632c8f7b7e79abd15c8deebd60c1d9.JPG

That looks killer Vaughn! Glad your still doing it, you've come a long way. I haven't fired up my forge in probably 3 years. =( 
Hoping to change that though.