I Forge Iron

Show me your Bottle Openers!

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like that Pancho, a neat solution, 

If you do define the star edge it would be  as you have already realised beuncomfortable to use, and if put in a pocket or bag it could damage lining.

I like this thread, proof of considered input, understanding of requirements, and a practical feasable solution Well done all concerned, 

Now you just have to make it and post pictures.

Have fun

30 minutes ago, BD1 said:

I'm new to this so just wondering if a '' STAR '' chisel would work to punch through ? 

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSylBMGB4ZeC-T8YWniDVDU1ub8rkWGWESAwz_XQagXrqiFWkjHimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcSylBMGB4ZeC-T8YWniDVD

Bob those would mark the steel well, but once you started to push them thru you'd loose the pattern because of how "shallow" the shape is. If they were ground back farther they might work. The smaller one would make neat patterns on the surface though for a lot of things.

The 5 point star drill could be modified to work though making your own with a file and piece of coil spring wouldn't be much more work.

I like your current design. Remember, the thinner the steel the faster it will heat so save the thin sections for the last steps. forge it to general shape, punch the hole for the opener loop and leave it that way till you're finished with the star, then go back and finish the opener.

Forging from thick to thin saves me a bunch of burned off thin sections. ;)

Frosty The Lucky.

Had a couple of vacation days I had to use or lose, so took them to get some extra time to get stuff done for my upcoming show.  Spent the morning on a couple of file knives.  Then took the rest of the day and went a little opener heavy.  Made a toasting fork/bottle opener.  Then made one out of the end of a lug wrench.  Then took the lug bolts out of a truck axle I scored at the scrap yard and made openers out of those.  Took a few minutes to make one of those coiled rod candle holders. Then just because I've never gotten one that I like, I spent the last part of the afternoon trying a leaf key chain.  This one actually looks like a leaf, so I'll take that as a win.  Still long way to go, but my inventory is finally getting up there.

stuff 003.jpgstuff 004.jpgstuff 007.jpgstuff 010.jpg20160721_202526.jpg20160721_202551.jpg20160721_202603.jpg

Ayup, looks like the crazy bottle is open alright. You're capturing the transition from a known object to a different known object nicely. Seeing the plastic nature of steel is a good selling point.

Frosty The Lucky.

5 hours ago, D.C. said:

Looks good to me! I maintain its crazy to NOT turn junk into something useful...

I never thought of it like that, I like to maintain a little Crazy just for it's own sake.

Frosty The Lucky.

Been awful hot here in North Alabama but I couldn't wait any longer so last Thursday I got the forge and anvil out to messed around.  I am very new to this, so far  I have made a pair simple tongs and a few piece of scrap just pounding iron to see what I could do with it and used my forge to hardened a simple knife blade.  Thursday I had a cold drink on my mind given the 95 degree heat, so I forge myself something to open a cold drink with.  It's simple but was fun making.  I really do enjoy punching a hole in steel and having that slug pop out when I do it right.  I then worked that hole over the horn of my anvil and forged it out into a larger loop.  Its all hammer and punch work as seen the only cold work was a little file work on the end of the handle where I hot cut it off with a chisels.  Next one will be prettier but this one got the job done.

5jZdtS6t_8U_iA6pvdAiK7dWtLqKN_27OqWU-ESv

It worked.

MkXB7pep6spN9vPPZHQWiRyaMCHO6XW11RCe2_vG

Good Morning,

How about a bottle opener for a "Twist-Top".

I'm sorry you couldn't have a Wobbly-Pop, because you couldn't figure how to open it. Sooo Saddd!!!

I guess it is kind of "Refreshing"!!

Enjoy the Journey, there is no specific destination.

Neil

Thought I would make a bottle opener with a pineapple twist handle. Cut the grooves OK but things went astray during the twisting. As it turned out, the crazy twist didn't look bad so I gave it a few more tweaks to rough it up, and went ahead and forged the opener. Sometimes you can resurrect something out of a disaster.

DSC_6437.JPG

I think it's a good looking piece, Aus!

I had my troubles lately with twisted openers, too. Here is the horsehead prototype I made. I still can't understand how but I mistwisted the stem. (Looked at it, marked the direction, viced it, twisted it, opened the vice, and bamm: wrong!) So you can see the correction in the twist's lines. 

And by the same time I tried an other twisting method with a WI opener, and it went so bad I couldn't take a picture of it. (It found its owner right away, so at least I don't have to watch my failure anymore ;) .) 

2016 07 ajak 2 nap lófej sörnyitó2.jpg

2016 07 ajak lófej sörnyitó.jpg