I Forge Iron

PELS "hand operated" Ironworker (no motors)

Leon Downing

Welcome aboard Leon, glad to have ya.

Have you tried searching Google patents for it?

How about a pic or two, maybe someone will recognize it.

If you'll click "User CP" and edit your profile to show your location it can make a bid difference. IFI is represented by members from more than 50 countries and a lot of info is location specific. If local folk know you're there they can tip you to get togethers, tool deals and offer hands on help.

Frosty

• 2 weeks later...

I have a manual ironworker built by Cannedy Otto. It's nearly 1000 pounds and has a 5' or so lever. A number of companies apparently built similar ones in the teens and 20's. The catalog rating for mine is ~20 tons. Punch 1/2" hole in 1/2" plate, shear 1/2" plate 4" long. I need to sharpen and adjust the shear before trying that, and the only punch I have is crudely home made. The 1" rod shear is either needs a new blade, serious adjustment or is worn out. It has served well shearing the 3/8" rod for my current gate, and should be much better once I clean it up and get new punches. I'm not sure how yours compares, but it's a neat tool and I don't mind too much that my ironworker lives just outside the shop door.

Leon, A quick google search provided most of the information you seek. It was posted by Henry Pells Co. The site that provided the information seems to be a good source for all kinds of blacksmithing information. It is easy to use and has all kinds of really neat tidbits, blacksmithing tricks, etc tucked away for you to find when you start clicking on the buttons.

We are the original manufacturers of the Pels Ironworker. If you still have the machine we may be able to help you identify the model number and also quote you for the missing spare parts.

Read the entire post = click here.