elkdoc

Safety glasses for forging...

1 hour ago, Chelonian said:

If it is strictly for forum usage, then why does it have a paragraph on grinding and milling anvil faces?

Because we didn't have a "Common Beginner's Mistakes" thread! If someone does create such a thing, then we'll replace that caution with a link to that thread.

It's hard to get newbies to read the Read This First thread and it's relatively short. Add all that to it and it will be more difficult to get them to read it. (IMO)

BTW I and my wife wear IR glasses when forging.

My mate just posted this, over forty years ive had the odd 9" explode,also 5" once with each causing me great pain,touch wood its been years since, I use what is tagged in OZZ Zip discs 125mm x1mm on a daily basis, luckily ive not been hit with them yet.

49897976_2586562804717139_7869566506563010560_n.jpg

49673931_2586562821383804_2542085340278030336_n.jpg

50049618_2586562851383801_1876691375940960256_n.jpg

We used to call them zip disks too but it seems most everybody is calling them cut off disks. I think zip disk is a better name, that's the sound the halves make as they shoot past your head when they break.

MAN that's as good an argument for eye protection as I've seen in a long time. Multiple layer eye protection actually, a face shield might have kept it from penetrating the glasses. OR perhaps deflected into his forehead or nose.

A guy can make up some pretty good stories about an impressive facial scar, can be worth a drink or two you know. ;)

Good pic for the PPE sticky section. 

Frosty The Lucky.

I find that odd to say the least. you had my fair share of 1mm cut off disk breaking and every time the light mass of the disk meant they did not do much damage at all. Had bits hit my shirt, pants or hit the floor with no consequences. A thicker disk is another matter entirely. 

I believe that the disk in the gyprock wall is a fake. You can still see the paper surface lifted in the cut and gypsum powder going down the cut from when it was done with the running grinder. i abstain from commenting on the safety glasses picture ... however it seems to me ... may be wrong ... but those two halfs, the glasses and the wall seem to fit each other. 

I hear what your saying Marc1,but for the young it could save from a stuff up, at 23 I sunk a 9" disc at work in my knee, years later a 5" disc in my left forearm, but ive been in the trade since 78.

Sure, I am not denying the dangers of a grinder of any size. It would be redundant to anyone with metal work experience to enumerate the occasions he knows first hand of horrific injuries. 

i am only saying what i believe to be the case of those photos. The many times I have broken thin cutting disk, when cutting colorbond fence sheeting,  something they are not made for,  they fly apart and just flop one meter away due to their minimal mass. Not to encourage anyone to be complacent with disk of any size though. The grinder is by far the most dangerous powertool in a metal workshop.

I use "Pferd" made in germany. Bought a large box of the things and another box of flap disk. 

Yes so true Marc1 ! Off topic I luv paying for these! These.oh ceramic is awesome for ripping off welds and  flushing