I Forge Iron

Coke, charcoal or charcoke??

I've been saving the unburnt remains of the coal from my multifuel stove. It's a form of coke but not as dense as the stuff you buy from a solid fuel supplier. It behaves more like charcoal than coke and leaves very little clinker. Does this stuff have a proper name?

13133.attach

13134.attach

13135.attach

Cover the metal with about 4 inches of fuel. This will give a larger fire, but more importantly insulate the metal from the cold outside air. It is the hot embers that transfer heat to the metal.

Reconfigure the air tube so the air enters close to the bottom of the forge. As the air tube collects ash and fills up, this keeps the incoming air above the top of the ash and able to flow freely. It takes a couple of times, but you will then recognize when the forge fails to get hot due to the ash tube being full and blocking the air from being able to get to the forge.

Make larger holes in the forge for the air to get through. This can be done by cutting the metal to join two holes in order to form a slot. On my forge I have a 3 inch air tube and only 2 pieces of 3/8 or 1/2 in material across the opening to act as a grate. My other forge has 2 slots 5/8 by 3 inches long with only about 3/4 inches separating the slots. Lots of air flow available (volume) makes it easy to bring a fire up to working heat.