I Forge Iron

Restoration of very old Cincinnati horizontal mill

I have a Cincinnati #1 1/2 universal horizontal mill, and from research would appear to be from 1900 to about 1910. The table feed is in-op, but otherwise seems to be in good shape. I started restoration today.
Well, after speaking to a fellow at Cincinnati MAG who would have any documents etc for my mill, he said sorry they did not keep records very well that far back and they had nothing.
I pulled the table off this morning, and found that a small bevel gear that brings the feed up to the screw drive is trashed. It revealed once removed and cleaned, that it had been welded and it looked like hand ground to try to make a tooth profile. About 1/4 of the gear teeth are gone. The shaft is otherwise in excellent shape. The other end of the drive has a gear with a missing key, that I expect was intended to be the shear key. That should be easy to fix. the stripped gear teeth however will require a weld up and proper gear hob or mill cutter to restore the profile. It is possible I could weld then hand file. I need to establish if the profile of the teeth is a modern profile or not, since an oddball antique profile will be hard to find a cutter for.
If the profile is modern, I may be able to setup the deviding head, tilt to the correct angle and cut the teeth that way. I have an antique "Treatise on milling and milling machines" by Cincinnati on the way, that will give me the indexs for the deviding head I think. The ways, lead screw etc are in a;most like new condition. This old lady is definetly worth saving. I sure would like to have the table feed working.

The photo is of my machine, the engraving is a patent drawing from Cincinnati, and is without the feed system they patented and added about 1900. My machine has the new fangled feed.

13123.attach

13124.attach

ptree,

Post this over on the HSM board there are a couple of folks that have mills like yours and also a wealth of information on how to repair your gear. Here is a link to the board.

General - The Home Shop Machinist & Machinist's Workshop BBS

You will have to join if you are not already a member but this site is the best for home shop types with problems.

Good luck on the repair, you are right, this piece of iron needs to be saved.

Jay

I got the mating gear out, cleaned both and examined under harsh light. The view revealed the harsh truth. The mating gear is also damaged, and is part of a complex part that is also the dog clutch. I could maybe buy a gear for the one on the shaft, and shrink it on the shaft. The mating part is hollow, and has no meat for such a trick.
I put the mill back together, as is and will use it as a hand crank until I get all the books and experience I need to set up and cut a new pair of gears.
Another option is an add on table drive like is sold for Bridgeports.
One nice thing about having the table off is I back traced the lube holes and how the lead screw gets oiled. The previous owner did not appear to have know about the function of the oil hole:( No severe damage.

Ptree,
Do you still have the table and the feed off? Take some pictures of the gears with a tape measure next to them. I have boxes of old gears out in the shop from all sorts of machines, I have been collecting and restoring these for thirty years. Any way I may have something that will work. I would also like to see some more pictures of your universal miller if you don't mind posting some. Email the gear pics to me at this, "jayhahn@charter.net", that way you can send bigger pictures and I will look to see what I have.
Take care, Jay

Jay, table is back on:( It however only takes about 15 minutes to have it off.
The critical gears are 90 degree bevel gears, with one having a dog clutch milled in the end and being hollow for the lead screw to pass thru, and also has a bearing fit in the middle, sound like anything you got? Real odd ball.
I will see about some more photos

Jay, question for you. My machine has been Zerked in most of the oil holes. Did he original oil holes have felt inserts?
I spent all week cleaning the shops, hauling fire wood and gravel and had a backhoe in to push trees so I have been slow to pull the table back off. Hope to do so maybe Sunday.

ptree

Sorry for the slow response. I am not getting emails when threads are posted I am writing in. I think I need to change my login info to let me know of this. Could be its hard to say. Tomorrow I will take a picture of my B&S horizontal and you can tell me if it is something like that. It sounds like it is. I may not have one with drive dogs but should have something that can have them added to the back. On your zirk question, they used to have oil pumps that mated up with zirk fittings. Don't use grease, to thick and holds swarf. Do a search for hand operated oil pumps for zirks. Oil will let the swarf carry away and not ride on the ways and work like a file.

Jay

Jay, I already knew to use oil. I don't think this one was built with the zerks, and worry thatwhoever may have installed them may have also not known that felts were often used to keep swarf etc out of the oil holes.
Have had some medical issues with the wife and not been in the shops since Saturday. I may get those photos this weekend if she continues to improve.
Thanks for the help.
Jeff

• 4 years later...

Good evening I found your posts about your Cincinnati No 1 1/2 Universal Milling machine on line while doing a search on Google,  wondered if you still had it?  A friend on mine purchased one a month ago and is currently doing a complete tear down. He has got most of it back together and painted up, it looks beautiful. If you still have your, I'll send you a link to the site where he is doing his restoration on. It has plenty of pictures and comments, I think you will enjoy it.

Rob

Yes still have mine. I have also discovered that the spindle has a bad runout. It has mostly been sitting. I don't know where your friend is but I have the indexing head and tail stock and many change gears etc. May sell the entire thing if he is interested or trade.

Don, Mine is a bit older than yours I believe. The bed on mine is not chewed up if you are interested in the machine. Mine has a flat belt drive to the feed change gears, and a one piece cast overarm that is curved. I have some arbors and the index head as well.