tecnovist

Forge weld flux

I received my last component for the Steel Glue flux in the mail today.  So "splain" me.....................there are 4 different materials in this flux.  Luckily all of them are powdered.  But what is the best way to make sure they are thoroughly mixed?  I've thought about cleaning the stainless steel pins out of my brass case tumbler and making sure it's absolutely dry and making a batch small enough to fit in it and tumble the material for two or three hours.  I'm calling a half cup as one part.  So when the entire batch is mixed it's going to be 4 cups plus two tablespoons.  Ought to fit nicely in my tumbler.  Any thoughts on the subject?

most beginning forge welders use simple steels that only need simple borax, I still have not figured out why you are making this so complicated?

here is a photo of a chunk of the welded wrought iron with rust adhered. There were many more but this one was easy to find after the trailer clean up before the last demo. 

I'll have to document this via video next time I do it.  I have more of that very same rusty material so maybe next time. 

Chris.  

Forge welding is a very simple act or skill set. it is way over played as difficult.   In 43 years I have never ground down a billet I am welding to another billet. As long as the steel is clean and it is prepared properly while still forging it will go together with little fanfare. 

The pieces will stick together as soon as touched.  the hammer is just to seal the deal so to speak. 

After all this maybe I can ply you to send me a sample.  I would be "Curious" myself to see if there really is a difference.  

20190817_152601.jpg

On 8/15/2019 at 2:59 PM, Irondragon Forge & Clay said:

A good read for those interested. The Worshipful Company of Blacksmiths.

https://blacksmithscompany.co.uk/history/

Good read, thank you!

Frosty The Lucky.

2 hours ago, Steve Sells said:

most beginning forge welders use simple steels that only need simple borax, I still have not figured out why you are making this so complicated?

Chris is OCD ADHD too Steve. Remember telling us,  you have to get everything perfect just not for long?  I know I'm paraphrasing you but I knew why we had so much in common.  

Frosty The Lucky.

Chris,  I would just put it in a sealed container stir it around then and shake and tumble it by hand a few minutes. It shouldn't take much to mix evenly.

Jennifer, I know what you mean about welding flux popping off and sticking to you. It's amazing how it can find the smallest space in your PPE to get to your skin, one reason I always wear ear plugs while welding.