tecnovist

Forge weld flux

510 posts in this topic

Lou, check the local Ace Hardware, True Value Hardware and Dollar General stores in your area.  Often they carry the 20 Mule Team Borax.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Better still, check with the local welding supply for a can of powdered . . . Welding flux. The same basic mix is used for torch: brazing, hard soldering, etc. welding: cast iron, stainless steel, aluminum, brass bronze, etc. I picked up a 1lb. can at Aire Liquide once I read the list of ingredients on the can. Borax, boric acid and some proprietary ingredient that turns it blue. I didn't get the high temp version with the powdered iron oxide in it. I use flux to keep the oxides out of my welds, not include them.

Frosty The Lucky.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Note that Roach Prufe sold at Ace Hardware in the USA is 99% Boric Acid,  So a Box of 20 mule team and a can of roach prufe and I'm set to mix my own.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

dang Thomas....I don't have roaches in my shop, so never would of thougt of that......:unsure:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I found I could buy a pound of R-P for less than a couple of ounces of USP boric acid at the pharmacy; the steel didn't complain about it not being USP.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I pick up boric acid, a.k.a. orthoboric acid, at Lowes; "HOTSHOT ROACH KILLING POWDER". It's  $4.25 for 16 ozs. Label states 99% orthoboric acid, as does on-line MSDS,. The MSDS does not state what the remaining 1% is. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This may have been said in the 10 years this thread has been up. But what I do is I put borox in between the joints before I fit them together. This way it doesn't foam up and off and instead forms a nice even layer. I see very little sense in trying to force the flux into a tiny crack when it should be there in the first place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Iron Poet said:

This may have been said in the 10 years this thread has been up. But what I do is I put borox in between the joints before I fit them together. This way it doesn't foam up and off and instead forms a nice even layer. I see very little sense in trying to force the flux into a tiny crack when it should be there in the first place.

I believe I've said pretty much just that every one of those 10 years except maybe for a time when my brain wasn't working so well say '09-'12.

Frosty The Lucky.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's true, but don't discount the ability of capillary action to pull melted flux into that tiny crack.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now