I Forge Iron

Reducing forge interior?

Ross_FL

Looking to reduce the inside area of my forge in an effort to increase heat and heating time. What material would be the most efficiant?

I was think about using crumbled pieces of the greenlite-45, which is what the forge itself is made from.

Any other ideas?

Welcome aboard Ross, glad to have ya.

Assuming you have a propane forge, I don't think much of filling volume with broken refractory. It'll turn it into a low efficiency chip bed forge with a high thermal mass. Less efficient than it is now in other words.

What I'd recommend is a layer or so of Kaowool covered by a piece of kiln shelf, coated with ITC-100. It'll be easily removed or adjusted and won't increase the thermal mass of the forge.

If you have a solid fuel forge; what Steve said.

If you'll click "User CP" at the top of the page and edit your profile to show your location it'll make a big difference. IFI is represented by more than 50 countries and a lot of info is location specific. Also, if folk know where you are they can tip you to get togethers, tool deals and lend hands on help.

Frosty

Frosty,

I'm actually not new here, just got laid off, forgot my user name, can't use my old jobs email and therefor had to make another name.

You actually helped me build my gas forge.

I knew there was going to be a problem with filling the forge with the heavier refractory would be problematic, I was just not sure why.

Question, I have plenty of left over itc100, what is the shelf life?

ITC-100 should have an unlimited shelf, it's zirconia flour and kaolin clay, both ancient beyond human reckoning.

I'd rib you if I hadn't lost more user names and passwords than I care to own up to. ;)

Frosty

I recoated the interior with ITC, and simply put 2 layers of 3" wool on the bottom of the forge and have gotten the heat time way down, and my test rod has gotten much hotter and stays hotter out of the forge.

Monday I will go to the pottery store and get a piece of shelf to coat with itc and mount on top of the wool for durability purposes.

I also coated the soft brick that I use to seal off the two sides of the forge cylander with ITC and I think that has helped alot.

I should be able to weld with ease with this gas forge at this point, however that's quite a ways down the road.

Sounds like you're on the right track. Coat everything in fire contact with ITC-100.

Welding isn't that hard, there are plenty of tutorials and good descriptions here try doing a search and reading up a little. Than take a lash at it. I've discovered it's best to show someone how to weld second day so they can get it out of their system and get on with the lessons.

If you'll click "User CP" and edit your profile to show your location it'll make a big difference. IFI is represented by members from more than 50 countries and a lot of info is location specific. If folk in your area know you're there they can invite you to get togethers, tip you to tool deals and lend hands on help.

Frosty