I Forge Iron

Substitute for bake-a-lite?

I had a guy come to the shop with a very old industrial electrical switch, likely from the 1920's. The main guts, that were cracked, looked to be bakelite, that black pre-plastic stuff found on antique waffle iron handles. If I need to machine him a new piece, what modern substance is strong, and insulative? Phenolic (sp?) came to mind, but I think I heard somewhere that machining it is pretty noxious.
Thanks, mike

• 2 weeks later...

I have fixed Bakelite pieces with JB Weld. One piece in particular was a leg on an old electric skillet. A large chunk was missing so I made a dam from masking tape and poured JB in and let it set. Filed and sanded it to make it purdy (not too) and it lasted (years) until my wife threw it away cause it quit heating.

This is from Wikipedia:

J-B WELD can be used as an adhesive, laminate, plug, filler, sealant, or electrical insulator. When fully cured, J-B WELD can be drilled, formed, ground, tapped, machined, sanded, and painted. However, until dry, it could sag or drip when applied.