I Forge Iron

When something doesn't work....

Just a general question for everyone about what you do with pieces that don't work out.

Do the odd bits and bobs get chucked into the bin for the recyclers or do you find a way to build something usable from the piece?

I stopped at the Bridger Blacksmith's shop this summer in Bozeman, MT. Tom has a very cool and very large wood stove that is adorned with pieces that didn't turn out as well as he wished. He is a very good blacksmith, but the pieces that are obstanent end up welded to the stove. The overall effect is a really cool looking stove.

Currently mine end up in the bin for the recyclers after laying on the lay out table for a time, while I try to dream up a use for them.

I keep cardboard bolt boxes in the shop for short pieces. Square and round from 3/16 to 5/8 and bigger. Pipe and square tubing too. I also keep in process parts in some of these boxes for production operations. I have a box or 2 that just says " Misc Rings - Misc forged hooks - misc big rivets etc " . I also have places that I hang stuff ( misc handles etc ). Eventually it gets used. I seldom pitch stuff.

I would suggest, IF you are going to toss away anything, toss it into a pile or bin until you have a lot of it and take it to the scrap yard and get cash to buy more useful metal or other blacksmithing supplies. That way, nothing really ever goes to waste.

That's a good question John:

Some things get reused, some tossed (if they're small enough) and some get set aside for future study. Learning from your mistakes is important so mistakes are a valuable commodity.

If you'll click "User CP" at the top of the page and edit your profile to show your location it'll help a lot. IFI is represented by members from more than 50 countries and a lot of info is location specific. If folk know where you are they can invite you to get togethers, tip you to tool deals and lend hands on help.

Frosty

Some times you just have to get rid of "the land of ugly things"

other times.. they get "retasked" other times people say what a beautiful peice of sculpture.... in which case it moves for a few dollars...

Keep you shop in your order without regret!! Rememeber the perfect parts are out here somewhere... and they will find they're way home at the appropriate moment

When I have a piece that hurts me I hang it on the wall and write the lesson it taught me beside it... ( only 2 peices on the wall so far about 10 years apart)

Unless we have over 100#, we don't get paid for scraps that we take into our local scrapyard. We just toss them into a metal pail or two (or three or four or five, or the floor if there's no room in the pails and no more room for pails :rolleyes:) More often than not, the pails get dug through and a piece of filler found for a broken feeder or gate or such. We weld most of our feeders, calf sheds, gates and all other things rather than buying them if we can help it and most of that is from scrap iron we've scrounged. Dad worked at a welding shop that went and pulled out of our town so we got all their scrap and most of their full lengths because it was cheaper to buy new than hauling it to their other shop and clean the rust off or haul it to the scrap yard.

I don't know about the rest of these guys, but I generate a lot of scrap, I have begun making 2 of just about everything, because it takes once to figure it out, I use a lot of scraps to create what my wife lovingly calls " funky yard art" I read a book called "country living encyclopedia" that states, on a farmstead, almost nothing should be thrown away, so make room outside of your shop for scrap.

I keep several oil drums around for scrap pieces. I cut a lot of plate building signs and art for people and the small drops go in a 30 gal drum out front near where I do most of my cutting. In the back of the shop I have a 50 gal drum for the larger pieces.

I started making a lot of flowers recently and I have sortted through the 30 gal drum time and again pulling out pieces big enough for the flowers. The bigger drops get turned into smaller art pieces.

When I have two or three 30 gal drums full and there isn't room for any more, I load the drums and the kids in the pickup for a run to the recyclers. I use the money generated for ice cream for my crew.....of course as long as I am at the recyclers....I usually spend 10 times what I generate.

Once in a while scrapping is goood.... my aunt and uncle in New Hampshire got 105 tons... yes TONS of scrap off a neighbors farm... long story there.... but they spent a year cleaning it up before scrapping.... went for 5 tractors to 3... but the 5 didn't run to start so I guess all is well....

Divermike.... I usually make 3 of new items....... the first one is good... the second is wrong.. then the third is great.....