I Forge Iron

Possible Pattern Welding Course in NV

ThomasPowers

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ellen:

Yes you can weld in a press...but you'd be "better off" learning to weld with a hammer first..Presses present a whole different load of problems than hammer welding...Once you get welding using a hammer down, and comfortable with your abilities in doing that, then move to a press....That way when the problems arise you will know how to correct them..

Just my 2 cent's worth..

JPH

Thanks Jim,

Now I don't have to worry about finding time in the next two days to try PW under the press. I already know I can do it under the hamer, just need more practice and perfection of technique. Will be trying heavier hammer and letting gravity do most of the work as you described. Makes sense to me. Have the red iron oxide and boric acid ordered, so should have everything I need about the time I am ready to step up to the forge again....I figure about 3 weeks down time if all goes well. Will be concentrating on the 10xx series of steel, no Ni until the other technique is improved. There's a lot I can do in the shop while waiting to heal enough for a hammer swing....grinding billets clean, organizing and cleaning, welding up flypress tool holder with steel shelving to hold power hammer tools, just have to work within my limits.

ELLEN-- Do you like to read Historical western type novels by ELMER KELTON?? If so I have a bunch~not all~ but a bunch. Enough to keep you down for a while if you like them.

On using your press. Pre-heat a block and warm your bottom/top dies on the press.
chuck

Jim, have you gotten the 5 people for your course in November? If not, I would like to be one of them.

Can you give me some info on the billets we should bring? What size and composition should they be? Also curious about the costs and dates.

Thanks

Fred:

Ok so far as it standfs no one has sent anything in yet cause I haven't asked anyone to so not to fret there...I will let everyone know when and all that in the next two weeks once I get a better grp on my NG duties here. Doesn't look like it will be that bad this time...

On the bar stock...What are YOU comfortable welding up? I suggest a 10XX series and L-6/15N20 as there is more than enough alloy differences in composition and the two steels work about the same under a hammer. This is the important part. I will be covering that in the class.

Faggot size..well I am thinking 2 pieces of laminate say 5/16" to 3/8" thick or so (no thinner than 1/4") for the ladder and the multi bar twist. The ladder bar should be about 1 1/4" wide the multi bar piece say 1 1/2" wide. Both should be fully annealed. A third bar of 3/4" square say 12" long will also be needed for the Maiden's hair twist...But what ever folks bring I am sure we can come up with something fun to do with it..Might do different stuff for different folks.

If there is time I will show how I steel a multi-cored composite. Will have two smallish (say 12 to 16" blades) ready to steel. It's not that hard to do..just takes being a little devious to get the tip "right"..

In closing once I get the particulars set I will let everyone know..

Oh before I forget any word on how Ellen is???

JPH

Thanks for the info Jim. I'll start working on those billets now so I am sure I have what is needed when the time comes.

Slightly off topic. I just bought and watched your pattern welding video. Wow, what a difference a picture makes. I have read through the complete bladesmith, and the pattern welded blade, but seeing you do it acctually answered a lot of questions. It also showed me a few things that I thought I was doing right, but that now realize I wasn't. Thanks for doing the video.

Fred:

Thank you for the kind words...Now the way I do this stuff is the way I do it...everyone eorks differently so you have to find what works best for YOU. As the old saying goes there is more than one way to skin a cat and what works best for one person, might not be the best way for someone else. I have never been shy about helping folks out and showing them how I do something, but that is just a starting point for their own "style" to develoup if you know what I mean....

JPH

• 1 month later...

Any updates on the possible course time/costs---my wife was asking me about it last night as if it was something we should be budgeting for...

Worked a new fellow through his first welds on a billet last night, BSB (Band Saw Blade) & Strapping starting with 23 layers.

Thomas

Hello!!

Ok...it all depends upon when SWMBO (She Who Must Be Obeyed) is having her surgery to repair the last vestiges of her stomach resection she had last year...As soon as I know what's up, I'll let ya all know...

JPH

• 2 months later...

The Festival of the Cranes will be Nov 17,18,19; SWABA would like it if I can be there as I'm the closest by an hour's drive.

I'm also going to try to buy a 50#LG this weekend and if it get it it may preclude me spending any more money until my wife forgives me...
(Actually she set my limit on it now to see how much it goes for at Auction)

Thomas

Hello:

well sooner or later this little tid-bit will "get out" as they say, so I might as well get the facts out before rumors start flying...

After 18 years of marriage my wife and I are divorcing. I am loosing not only my home but my workplace, as we built this place almost 15 years ago with my working in the studio out back as a requirement. So, loosing this place, I loose my studio. Needless to say this pretty much puts a kabosh on anything until I not only find a place to live but also to work. I am already looking at properties (found several that may meet my needs) and building a new home/workshop complex a bit north of Las Vegas across the Nyw county line ( yes it will be Art Bell and I in the Kingdom of Nye for you hard core radio fans...)

Breaking down the equipment and all will be a major PITA and moving it will be even more so. Being a one man opperation does have it's drawbacks at times, but with Ichabod I could probably do this all by my lonesome OK... I will have to find a storage place for all my worldly goods until I can get into someplace permanent once all this gets settled. At least my "personal" stuff, outside of my fiurearms can be moved in the back of my van (I don't have much "stuff"...well, not any more anyways....sigh...).

So now ya all know.. I am sorry that this has happened, cause I was really looking forward to doing this. Maybe once I get settled into the new place I will be able to do this...but then I will probably really be way out in the boonies...

Take care

JPH

Jim, my heartfelt condolences; after 18 years it probably will hit you worse than a death would have as it's harder to put behind you.

I've been married 22 years (so far) and have finally got to build a shop for myself (no more collapsing chicken houses or 1930's rotting out detached garages with no power!) and have a house I want to stick with till they throw me out with the clinker---and just found out yesterday that my job is a bit shaky and there are no others in this area that pay anywhere near that don't require a PhD. I'm sweating that right now.

Are you sure you wouldn't want to move to Las Vegas NM?

Hope all goes well for you and try not to use up all your ammo as a stress release!

Thomas Powers

Yeah, the whole situation just bites....I will probably be out of business for close to 4 to maybe 6 months while I am building/relocating and that means storage spaces for the equipment....not much fun I fear....but I will "be back"//it's just starting over at this point in my life is..well....frightening to all get out..

Looked at a few properties up in Nye County, it is a bit "odd" out there so I should fit in just fine... Hell's bells..I might just run for county Sheriff once I am there for a year...That is a scarey thought in itself...whahahahaaaaa...Maybe city council or county commission?? Dunno... But I will survive one way or another.

JPH

You'd make a great Sheriff and you sure could give some pointers to the folks behind bars trying to make shivs!

BTW you are welcome to store equipment at my place...

Now is the time to start thinking about what you liked best and what you disliked most with your old shop and try to get those things considered while designing the new one...

Good Luck

Thomas

Thomas:

Ya know old man..I appreciate the offer but logistically it would be a nightmare, but still..thank you...

I am currently working in a 25ft by 35ft studio. It is getting rather "cozy" in there. I will be putting in a 30ft by 50 ft one in the new place, which is like 2/3rd bigger than I have now, plus I am looking at another 1/2 acre of real estate. It will be a major PITA to build. move and set up but what choice do I have?? Ya gotta do what needs to be done right?? Still with my share of this place I should be able to just about pay for the whole Magilla and only need to carry about 65K on a mortgage....

Granted Pahrump, Nevada is the boonies...population of 40K or so...it is the 5th largest city in Nevada (which isn't saying much) as once you get out of the Las Vegas valley things get to be really rural really quickly...I will be outta Clark County and in the "Kingdom of Nye" as brother Art Bell calls it...Ok I am a 50something old fart starting over...so be it..it won't be easy but day-um....as long as UPS and FedEx ground delievers and picks up I can work on the moon, my business won't "suffer" much and for that I will be forever grateful. I fully realise that I am in avery unique and enviable position as far as "crafts folks" go...I have been able to support myself and my family since 1984 doing this...ands while I might have another 15 to 209 years left of heavy hammer swinging...I plan on dying with my 8# hammer in my hand (that or being shot by a jealous 20 year old husband....when i am at the tender age of 93....whahahahaaa!!!!)

Yeah this bites...this whole thing bites.....but you play the cards you are dealt....

JPH

Wow, only 40,000 people---that's only 4+ times more people in the largest town in our county, (and the next county over only has 10,000 people in the entire large county!)

Just remember that junk expands to overfill the space alloted for it; roll up your sleeves and think about having a great shopwarming party when it's all over!

Thomas