I Forge Iron

hi im new

r-ice

well I am new to this
As a Canadian we don't get to get KMG grinders. theres this bee one on criaglist Belt Sander and I was wondering what everyone thought about this. I tried google but it doesn't seem to bring anything up.

Or should I go to busy bee tools and get these?
photo 1
photo 2

I am using this for knife making .

Edited by r-ice

Hey r-ice,

Here's a formal welcome to the group. I enjoy making knives as well. There is a lot of great people and information here.

If I were you, I would consider first grinder for $600.00. It looks like you could hollow grind with it or modify it so that you could use a platen with it and if you got rid of the guard, slack belt grind as well. My second choice would be the second one that you listed. It is small, but versatile and inexpensive. That's my 2 cents.

Cheers,

Chad

Edited by Hunterbow Smithy

Welcome aboard, glad to have you.

Plenty of bladesmiths to talk to here.

If you'll click "User CP" at the top of the page and edit your profile to show your location it'll make things easier. IFI is represented by members from more than 50 countries and a lot of info is location specific.

Frosty

r-ice,

Welcome. This is a great place to learn and see some beautiful work.

I recommend checking to make certain that you can attach a platen and get to a substantial area of slack belt (maybe by removing guard).

These two things are really important for me. They allow flat and convex grinding. Also, the platen allowes for fast but flat removal of handle material. The slack belt will then even things out and smooth without losing contours.

there is my two cents.

good luck,

Kevin