I Forge Iron

Soliciting Latch Ideas

I have been working on a fence commision. There are three pieces to the fence. It is 12 foot long and 6 foot tall.

The left section is a bit more than 6 foot long with 2x2 .120 square tube as posts. The right section is 3 foot long again with 2x2 .120 square tube as posts.

The gate is framed by 2x1/4 strap. I have the hinges hung for the gate to swing off the left side.

Here are a couple picts of the cut panels. This is all free hand cut from 10 guage plate.

I am going to test fit the fence this week, if the home owner contacted the call before you dig boys. Then haul the whole works down to be powder coated.

What I am soliciting is anyones thoughts about a good latch system that could be lockable and won't ding the powder coat too bad. A tall order I know.

Thanks in advance and best regards,

John
Double Y Design Metal Works

12599.attach

12600.attach

how about an exterior doorknob lockset? I've made boxes from a slice of 4 inch tubing and holesawed end plates that a lockset fits into. You can buy them premade from the ornamental suppiers, also. I get stuck a lot when it comes to latches, there's just too many options. A good book to look at is 'Early American Wrought Iron' by Albert H. Sonn. It has 35 gazillion latch ideas, enough to get anybody dizzy.

Here's implest latch that I could think of that would still be lockable but put the minimum amount of wear on the powder coating. Would be easy to forge with a little bit of personal style, unfortunately lock is only accessible from one side. Could be made a bit more complicated with the addition of a rocker arm to trip the latch.

12738.attach

Oops I stated that wrong it is a 375 not a 325.

Spent the day making forged pig tail steak turners and forks. I tried to recreat a Hofi twist and failed....but you are supposed to learn from your mistakes right? If I would actually learn from all of mine, I should be a very smart man some day!

Thanks for the comments.