I Forge Iron

sharpening the edge of your anvil

Don't know if it's the right thing to do so give me your thoughts please. My anvil is in pretty good shape but doesn't have a sharp edge on it. By that I mean the corners are all at least 3/16 radius and larger. Some chipping. Will it do any harm to grind a step in the side down about 1/2" so I can get a nice clean radius?
Thanks,
Dick

Hi Jim, I know I've read they should have a radius. The reason I'm looking to get a sharper edge is to be able to make more definitive corners. I'm enjoying doing the animal heads and the process uses a sharper corner then I have. I can always make a square hardy tool with different radius on each side. (This thought just came to me now.. :)
Thanks for the reply!
Dick

Choose a thick piece of plate a bit wider than the anvil face. Weld a hardie post to the plate, Drop your perfectly sharp corners adapter into the hardie hole and be happy. If you feel it is needed, weld a piece of flat bar to the edge of the plate so it rests against the side of the anvil for more stability.

Hello Glenn,
Yes , that is what I'm going to do. I think it will work well. I think the flat bar will be good to. The Hardie hole is 1.115 X1.145 so I will make my shank 1.1sq to leave room for any taper or irregularity.:D
Thanks for your reply.
Dick

Choose a thick piece of plate a bit wider than the anvil face. Weld a hardie post to the plate, Drop your perfectly sharp corners adapter into the hardie hole and be happy. If you feel it is needed, weld a piece of flat bar to the edge of the plate so it rests against the side of the anvil for more stability.

...or make a large block to set in the hardy. Something 3x3x3 with a hardy on the bottom makes a good sharp edge.

Sure , Here it is with my new optional corner plate.:D I think it's a Peter Wright but haven't scoured down the sides to find it's markings. I've had it for 26 yrs. so it might be time to identify it, just never felt the need. As you can see the edges are all big radius.

Dick

12587.attach

12588.attach

12589.attach

12590.attach