I Forge Iron

Grease or oil on old mill?

Well the mill arrived this morning, and is in place and fairly level. I have to borrow the master level from work to get exactly level. It came with a number of arbors, a boring arbor, a couple of end mills, and a number of cutters for the horizontal arbor. I also cam with what looks like a complete set of change gears for the feed, and a deviding head and a what looks to be a complete setup for driving the deviding head to make fluted cutters etc.
I have polished and oiled the ways, and the spindle and everthing is smooth. Now to install a motor started for the big Dayton motor.

The mill is a Cinnicinati #1 1/2 universal Horzontal mill. Pre 1927 from I have researched so far.

This mill has zerks all over, and i wonder if someone made the mistake of putting zerks in oil holes?

When I saw the subject line I was all prepared to say "oil." Zerks though, Hmmmm.

I think I'd contact Cincinnati and ask them. Have the model and serial # ready, I'm sure they'll be happy to to tell you more than you need or want to know.

Frosty

I am still looking for the serial. No name plate. I have looked for stamped in so far nothing. The name is cast in the door in the base.
They made these things up to 1927, so may have had zerks, but not sure.

They are oil zerks. You can take a standard grease gun and convert it to pump oil. The plans are on a machining website but the "executive summary" is that you take out the spring plunger and seal the rear half so it doesn't leak, then fill the gun with way oil and hold it 'port down' so the oil is carried to the valve by gravity. Working the handle will pump oil to the fitting. DO NOT use grease on a zerk on a mill or lathe unless the owners manual says to put it in that location.

Thanks for the info HW. That echo's anothers view on anvinfire. Unfortunatly, the previous owner greased. It looks like I will have to build/aquire a pressure oiler and pump out the grease.

First I would have to find the camera, then find the batteries...
This is a flat belt drive machine later converted to have an on board electric motor to drive the counter shaft. Hech the back gears even work:)
Seriously I will try tonight, then I have to figure a way to post.

Well I looked pretty close and the old lady has a 4 digit serial, below 1800. The last patent date cast into the door is 1896. I suspect this is one OLD lady as far as Cinncinati's go. Since every gear and so forth is out in the open, I may nickname her the "Naked Lady"

ptre,
Does it have a universal table? It is kind of hard to tell from the pictures, but almost looks to. What is the spindle taper, B&S 7 or 9? I don't have any extra B&S arbors, but I got a bunch of NMTB 25 and NMTB 35. Do you have an overarm for it? It almost looks like you spindle speed is going to be to fast with those pulley sizes. What RPM is the motor? Can you post a pic of the other side of your dividing head? Nice looking mill bud, very similar to my B&S #2 that runs on lineshaft.
Jay

Tiptop, I do have the overarm. Yes a universal, and I think I have all of the drive to the dividing head. I have not measured the arbors, but I suspect either B&S or Morse with the drawbar. I think this mill is probably about 1902. The pully you see in the photo is on the jackshaft. There is about a 4" on the motor running that big sheave on the jackshaft, and the jackshaft hass about a 5" flat belt pully that is currently running to the big pulley on the 4 step spindle. Looks to run about 200rpm at the spindle. It has a backgear that cuts the rpm to about 1/4. I think speed will be ok.

The only two issues currently are that the table feed is not working and I need to convert back to oil on the lube. I spent an hour or so last night under spinning gears by hand and found a bevel drive gear that slides on a shaft to transmit the feed to the table. It spins on the shaft but should not as it should have a sliding key to engage the shaft. The dog clutch in the table itself feels a little iffy and pops out as well. Lokks like a table pull to find and fix what was probably a feed crash.

Why the photos of the deviding head?

I measured the arbors today and they are Brown & Sharpe #10. I checked the rpm today by counting revs and the spindle turns at 175 on the slowest high pully and 1/4 that in the slowest low range. I have been oiling the lead screws and ways, up under the table and things are moving much smoother. I believe the Zerks were installed later, and this is an oil machine. Next step is to pull the table. I have a show next weekend to get ready for , so the table pull will have to wait. I need my big son home from college to help anyway.

Found a 1919 Treatise on Milling machines written by Cincinnati Milling Machine company which states plainly to oil daily all the "oil holes. I think the Zerks were added later. I also saw a photo of the table off and looks like mine so I think I have a plan.
#1 is to remove the grease by pressure forcing oil thru the zerks, and then change to either plain oil holes or a lever metered oil pump.

• 1 month later...