I Forge Iron

Blacksmithing Basics for the Homestead (Book review)

GNJC

• 5 months later...

I have this book. I like it. It is basic but has some nice designs and pointers that seem useful to me. This book has personal appeal to me because Joe began his career in Iriquois South Dakota which was my wife's hometown. If you visit Joe's website you will get a better understanding of his stature as a leading hawksmith and bladesmith.

This book is short but inexpensive and I felt it was a nice value.

• 5 months later...

I received this book as a Christmas present. It well compliments some of the others I have, like Lorelei Sims, McCraven, Weygers, and Bealer. After mentally struggling with the how to make a nail header (I know, how much more simple can you get, huh?), the description DeLaRonde gives was the one that flipped on the lights. I went out and made one, then forged my first nail, albeit a little off center on the head.

Inexpensive book that was more than worth it. He also gives interesting opinions on the more common myths like qhenching knife blades on the north-south magnetic orientation. Pretty funny at times

it is a good book for those interested in history also... i got my copy from the author (known him for years he signed it also) i particulary liked the stories about his mentor and teacher ... it gives me a bit more empathy for the old timers ..it is a good book to add to the library ... injoy