I Forge Iron

blower refurbish

Grant

Good Morning All

I am in the process or rebuilding a small forge blower and need consultation. The blower seems complete, however there is a 1/16" of side play between the impeller and the case. This is enough play that the impeller shaft will clunk around within the case tapers when it is centered. When one moves the impeller shaft to either extreme the tolerance is fairly good on that side. This is by hand. I don't know how it acts when operated. I realize we are not rendezvousing in space, however I would like not to operate something that cracks and creeks more than I do. I do not want to limit anyone's experience or imagination, but I am hoping for a "cut off a small piece of your flannel shirt tail and rap it around the tapers, this will take up the slack and keep the oil in the housing" or "you are lucky most small blowers had larger tolerance out of the factory, clean it, lube it and run it," as apposed to "surface grind 40 thousands off the mating suffices and lap in new tapers". But, again I don't want to limit responses.

Tks grant

12344.attach

12345.attach

Thanks Arftist

- but there are no bearings. The tapered shaft you see in the second photo rides in a tapered hole in the cast case. Before I pulled it apart I thought I would find a straight shaft and either knural the guide or machine a brass bushing for it. But I found tapers. :confused:

-grant

I just acquired a blower just like yours. It was already apart and I thought the shaft was very worn. The bearings in the one that I have look like a poured babbit type bearing. I don't know if this was original or a later repair.
Jerry

Grant, sorry I didn't see your reply sooner. It the world of the old time machinist, cast iron is considered a bearing material. As long as there is no rotaional interference between the blower and the case, oil the bearings at every use and enjoy your working antique. Grease is not so good, as it traps dust and grit which is abrasive.

• 1 month later...

I refurbed a blower, but sold it to get cash for kaowool and plumbing parts for a gas forge. My coal forge has an electric blower. But anyway, if you get this blowing and aren't happy with the axial runout you might try a drill bit shaft collar to lock the position. I've used those on a couple of my contraptions, and they work nicely.

3309824696_495d077fb2.jpg?v=0

• 2 weeks later...

Good Morning All

Thanks to everyone for the help. With a few flat washers for spacers on the two severally worn shafts, she is alive, well, and surprising robust. Who da thunk that little four paddle blower would work so well? Anyway, thanks again. -grant

14138.attach

• 2 weeks later...