ironantlerforge

Dragon Weather Vein

Here is a pic of a Dragon Weather Vein I just made for a client of mine. It has a 4 foot wingspan and always turns to face into the wind.

12214.attach

Edited by ironantlerforge

Lucky client. Great job, I like the non traditional design. Could you describe your bearing arrangement-design?

Love the green.

Super job! I may just have to "borrow" that design. My oldest son collects dragons and would absolutely LOVE that one.

Terry

Reminds me of a hood ornament I saw on a blacksmiths truck in Ky. Nice work.

good looking dragon..what kind of finish did you use..? looks like a fun project...thanks for sharing..

the paint is a multi layered powder coating to hold up to outdoor use. I did not use any bearings. Instead I have the dragon perfectly balanced on one thin spike with a shielding of course to prevent it from falling over. It works very well.

wow i love that ! love how you say he faces the wind too. yeah lucky client - i would really be happy with that on my roof.. the color is really vivid which is cool too. i really like how youve made that! im going to lookin your gallery to see if this is characteristic of your work and if there are any more shots! thanks!

Hi there,
Lovely dragon! Very creative idea, and what about the beast flying into the wind, could not be better. Wouldn`t mind having it over my roof, LOL. nelson.

This stinks.

No, not the project -- that thing's off the hook.

But you're obviously younger than me and your forgework just had mine for lunch. AND you've probably got more hair, better teeth, and a nicer personality than me, too.

Stinks.

:rolleyes:

Leland

Your in luck! I'm bald headed :P

But you're obviously younger than me and your forgework just had mine for lunch. AND you've probably got more hair, better teeth, and a nicer personality than me, too.

Stinks.

Most of the Dragons I look at are black , BUT YOURS IS GREEN and it looks original! Its a real winner. I have used a ball bearing in a large weather vane ,you need a round depression in the supporting strut and a larger hole in the top strut to slide over the bottom and a round depression at its end. But the hole has to be long enough to stop the wind from blowing the top  parts off of one another. From an original 1800 piece.

Great work, it looks fantastic!  Would you care to elaborate on the production process? 

is the dragon body forged, laser or water jet cut?  How much welding?  How did you make the head?

How much trial and error to get the balance right? 

and with wings that big, is anything holding it down on the pivot?

originally posted 2009; latest post by the author June 2013.  You may have to wait a while for elaboration...