I Forge Iron

Hinged Fuller

jayco

Here's something I came up with the other day.
I'd always wanted to experiment with a hinged fuller, and came up with this design.
The top and bottom dies are RR spikes. The post is a 10in. piece of 1in. x 1/8 in. mild steel.

I could have drilled the holes and been more accurate I suppose, but I just punched them.........and it worked OK.

The bolts are 3/16 in.

I could have welded the bottom die in place easier than punching the holes, but using bolts allows me to change dies if I want without major effort.

This fuller is small, (for light work), so I'm already planning a larger one based on the same design!

Just thought I'd share.............

12199.attach

12200.attach

there was a b/p here (i think) that was made to neck down pipe,etc.but it had a larger dish and was radiused. jimmy

I remember seeing one by Bill Epps, kinda like you describe. I don't know where I saw it though. (I have a set of dies similar for my guilotine tool.)

And yes, RR spikes are small for this kind of tool........they were just so HANDY!

For more serious fullering/swaging, I will make a larger version with....say.....leaf spring as dies.

The dies in the pics are for 1/4 in. and 3/8 in. round stock.
James

How do they work James?

Frosty

Works pretty good, Frosty.......considering that it is a small tool.

I tightened the bottom bolt as tight as I thought the little bolt would stand. I really didn't want that bolt to be a source of 'play' in the dies.

I keep the top die bolt snug, but still movable.
( I started to say 'hingeable', but I don't think that's a word!)

Although I made 1/4 in. round and approx. 3/8 in round on mine, I also feft room for a couple more shapes in the future.

These are just the shapes that seemed handy for ME. ( I've been shaping rivets with mine).

Tryin' it........yeah, that's where I saw Bill Epps' hinged fuller.
Thanks for the link.....

James

I own and use one of Bill Epps' later models that I purchased from him. The end farthest from the pivot point has ground spots for working rounds, pipe etc. However his later models, like mine, have sharpened angles ground close to the pivot end that allow for hot cutting materials. The cutting edge (top & bottom) is 1" long or more. He also added 2 bolt hole positions; lower for smaller items, or raise bolt to next hole and work larger items.

This tool's options are limited by user's imagination only. Imagine another similar unit with different hole sizes or shapes in both tool halves.

BTW James nice looking tool you made there!!!!!!!!!!
Stan