Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'wasp waist'.
Found 1 result
I have been tinkering with burners for a number of years now, but the hard part was making the burners to test the ideas. In burners 101, John in Oly, WA had posted about some of his experiments in the vortex burner range. His experiments were created in part with a 3D printer. Seeing what he had done, I had a mind blown epiphany about 3D printers and prototyping. I knew almost nothing about them at the time. I learned about 3D printers and purchased one. I then had to learn about their idiosyncrasies, as well as 3D modeling and slicing the CAD models. As my CAD skills improved, my experiments got more complex. I usually print a burner head which fits a mix tube with nozzle. It is great. Have an idea, produce it reliably. Need to change it a just a little bit, reproduce it with those minor changes. Rapid prototyping. Click print and go to bed. I am playing with half inch mix tubes currently as they are big enough to be less picky but small enough that the prints are smaller. These are just so I can learn currently. I intend on casting some of the better models in aluminum. I also intend on eventually scaling to 3/8 and 3/4 burners once I am content with a few designs. I have a range of mix tubes precut from 7 inch to 2 inch at half inch increments, I have a few accelerator assemblies built and I have a few exit nozzles of different types. This allows me to quickly play with mix tube length, jet diameter, and nozzles without much fuss. Here are my experiments so far (in CAD form): I am whimsical with the version numbers. Some major failures in between. I have been labeling the burner heads in 3 sections. The accelerator block at the top, the ribs in between and the outlet below the ribs in the images. The nomenclature could use some help. The entrance to the "outlet" is an inlet. I haven't put much thought into it. The terms evolve as I gow. For a while the ribs were labeled vanes. Version 1: Learning CAD mostly. A small trumpet shape at the entrance of the outlet and crudely shaped ribs. I was working with the Mikey burner as the initial start concept. Not quite a tube burner as it decreases in size. I did not account for wall thickness on the 1/2 pipe in the trumpet so there was an abrupt corner unless the pipe was chamfered. Even with this, it produced a nice strong flame at higher pressures. It is the first flame I posted in burners 101. Version 2.5: A large improvement. The ribs are a bit smoother. I was going for a cutting edge and encouraging vortex (thanks to Mikey). A longer trumpet shape which exits in a smaller diameter to match the ID of 1/2 pipe. I posted some images of it's flames. Version 2.6: I reversed the direction of the ribs to encourage vortex the other way. Apparently I thought I was inducing a hurricane in the Northern hemisphere and so the coriolis effect needed tending to. I must have thought highly of myself at the time. I later wised up as the proof is in the pudding. Have to learn some how. I did radius the "cutting edge" but did not notice any major difference. I also decreased the length of the ribs so the air inlets surface area was in the neighborhood of 200% of the area of the throat. Version 2.7.1: I studied airfoil design and realized I had things all aerodynamically backwards. I reworked the rib shape and I also added a second axis of rotation to the ribs playing with vortex some more. It performs very well but I've barely had a chance to tinker with it. It got dubbed the twirly burner somewhere along the way. Version 3.2: This burner came before version 2.6 and 2.7.1 as I was playing with lower velocities (thanks to Frosty). It is a linear design using the wasp waste geometries. I initially posted an image but didn't have much time to play with it. At that time it was running higher velocities with a smaller mig tip. I eventually bored out a mig tip to 0.032 actual in an attempt at lower velocities as I was inducing too much air at higher velocities. I posted an image of that flame as well. Then a few posts later, I explained the burner in a bit more detail. It needs a bit of work but I wanted to dabble into lower velocities. Version 3.3: Why not? Take the ribs from 2.7.1 and plop them onto 3.2. Not so much to test an idea, this one it just for fun. I just CAD and printed today so I have no clues about him. I suspect higher velocities will be required as there is more drag from the ribs. They all use a sliding choke as it seems to do the best job of variable regulation and not just an on/off kind of thing. OK. OK. Real pictures. I only have a few. I was focused on the flames, not the burners mostly. Here is ver2.5 in a fashionable pink: (My daughter realized the printer can make toys) Here it is in the vise, setup for it's flame photoshoot: Here is 2.7.1 up close after some sanding: My final image is 3.3 warm off the printer still: I will add more images as I continue on. I can print in finer detail but for prototyping, it prints faster this way and it doesn't seem to influence it much. When I go to aluminum, they will be printed finer. As always with me, any discussion, suggestions, criticisms, or ideas are welcome and wanted.