Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'aluminum casting'.
Found 3 results
I built my foundry a few months back. Finished it up by using Plistix 900F from Glenn. I melted a bunch of cans, aluminum parts and some copper. I figured it was time to make something. As a child I loved playing Zelda. So I decided to make a large coin. I made a MDF pattern for casting it in sand. The build from start to finish can be seen on my YouTube channel. https://youtu.be/R5Jm2fPH3WE
This past week, I finally got an excuse to make a Steady Rest for my little lathe and finished it this afternoon. I wanted to chamfer the inside of an 8” long x 3/4” pipe for making a propane burner. After considering various possible methods and my limited supply of tools I made a small cast aluminum steady rest. I pretty much followed the instructions by David Gingery in his book 6 The Dividing Head & Deluxe Accessories with several differences. The first difference is that I used lost foam sand casting. Second, I used small pieces of CRS to form the jaw guides and then hammered them out after the casting had cooled. Third I had to come up with a different mounting to attach to the 109 lathe bed and so tried to copy the tail stock mounting. That didn’t work out so well since I didn’t have a precise way to machine matching V grooves. I ultimately just tightened down the steady rest base on the ways and it wasn’t going anywhere. Plus the aluminum base won't hurt the steel ways. I also made a spade drill bit to mount in the tail stock. The irony is that I realized about a half hour after finishing both the steady rest and drill that with the steady rest I didn’t need the drill to chamfer the pipe inside edge. I could have used regular lathe cutting tools. However I went ahead and used it and it worked well. The bit was made from 1095 high carbon steel that I had on had for making knives. It worked very well cutting the steel pipe and was not yet needing to be sharpened after chamfering both ends of three pipe pieces.