Jump to content
I Forge Iron

Curse The Sky

  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Curse The Sky

  1. Updated pictures after partial cleaning. So far I've taken a drill with wire cup, angle grinder with sanding discs (lightly), sandblaster with coal slag media, angle grinder with heavy twisted wire cup, turpentine, acetone, mineral spirits, and full on paint stripper to it. I'm starting to wonder if the black "paint" isn't paint at all, but some kind of rust converter like POR-15. Then again, it could just be the 100+ years of baking in a shop, getting covered with grease and grime and who-knows-what-else. Either way, it's a royal pain in the nether regions to remove. The pitting and chun
  2. Thank you, I appreciate your time - and everyone else likewise. How thick is the top plate realistically? I've read everything from 1/4" to 7/16" to 1/2" to 3/4". I'm guessing 7/16 to 1/2" is probably the most likely case, as the 3/4" estimates are likely fooled by the casting "shelf" on some models. Do the top plates vary in thickness by anvil size? For example, would the 100-200 lb anvils have a thinner plate, and the 300+ lb anvils thicker? What about by era? Finally, are there any notes as to what type of tool steel would have been used for the top plate? I'm guessing someth
  3. arkie I don't have a needle scaler at the moment, but I'll definitely keep that one in mind. My current plan is to try paint stripper, then more blast media (primarily for the pits with rust), and finally some angle grinder work to smooth any sharp edges as seen under the horn. I've started dressing the edges a bit as well, with the goal being to prevent future chipping. Does anyone know if the handling hole in the waist is supposed to go all the way through from under the horn to under the heel? Right now it's packed with years of debris, but if it is a continuous tunnel, I could put a p
  4. Frosty thanks, glad to be here. Curse The Sky is a song by my all-time favorite band, Iced Earth, and a tribute to a friend of mine from many years ago. Call me Curse or Brian. Whichever you'd prefer . I spent about 45 minutes attacking the anvil with a sandblaster and coal slag media. Good xxxx that black paint is tough stuff. The gray paint or primer that shows in spots was fairly easy to take off, but the black stuff might as well be a suit of armor. I'm going to pick up some kind of paint stripper later to see if it'll help make headway.
  5. Definitely just me, or perhaps one helper with a single-handed hammer on rare occasions. My concern was more for the fact that I haven't seen this kind of damage on any anvil before (underneath wasn't somewhere I would have thought to check), so I wasn't sure if this was a major warning sign that bad things were on their way. For the $2200 I spent, I'm hoping this will last more than just my lifetime. Thanks for the assurance!
  6. Hello all, I recently purchased a 500lb Fisher anvil made in 1914. According to the seller, until recently, it was in use in a shop in Rhode Island. This is the first massive anvil in decent shape that I've found, so I jumped on the opportunity. While the face, edges, hardy hole, and other important parts are in decent enough shape, I only just now realized that there's some missing chunks under the horn and the heel. Under the heel also has some significant pitting. Rebound is in the 80-85% range and fairly consistent over the whole face. After taking the pictures, I've start
  • Create New...