I Forge Iron

making solid steel from parts?

saintjohnbarleycorn

Kind of a nutty title, but what I am looking for is ideas for making an anvil for the bottom of my hydraulic log splitter for forming iron. I have seen some things using square tubing in tubing welding plates together and was wondering if anyone had some ideas on this. I am figuring its a ten ton press , so maybe 8" diameter? I am in the dark here on what is required, I will look for something that is already partly made. I will want to have it to take dies. thanks for any ideas and help in putting this together. kevin

How is your splitter configured? Is the splitting vee on the end of the ram, or does a flat plate on the end of the ram push the log against a fixed vee? How is the plate attached to the frame of the splitter? Since the ram moves slowly, I don't think that you need to be concerned about having a large mass, like an anvil. You'll just need something that's strong enough not to deflect from the pressure of the ram. I think that 3/4" or 1" steel plate would be plenty strong enough, especially with a couple gussets. The plate could be drilled and tapped so that you could bolt various dies to it. If you had a picture of the splitter, it would help.
Pete

You'll need to make a plate to hold your bottom die, and drill a couple holes to bolt it to the bottom plate. A new sliding carriage will need to be made that has a plate to hold the corresponding die. You'll have to check your ram extension to determine how long the carriage will have to be. Where in Delaware are you, by the way?

I live near bethany beach, I have formed a top die that will fit on the wedge, taking off the old wedge was a lot of work. I am still needing it as a log splitter. I wanted to get the bottom die high enough so the ram doesn't have to be on the ground so to speak. I have an old anvil that brings it up about 10 or 12 inches but ideally it would be 24' or so. For now I will use the bottom plate of the splitter, or the anvil. I mostly want to see if this is worth the effort to do. If I decide it is then I will need to convert the pump to electric or something instead of using the tractor. For now I want to use it to draw out the larger diameter stuff to save my arm. thanks for the help. here are some picsDSCF0018.jpg

That was an innovative way to do it without taking off the existing wedge. It looks strong enough, to me. The point of the wedge is where all the force is going to be, and it looks like it's right up against the 3/4" plate. I'll be interested to hear how it works. Good luck!
Pete