I Forge Iron

You might be addicted to blacksmithing if you...

I know, I know. It's okay now, take a deep breath and set the hammer down for a moment. You CAN set it down can't you? Just for a moment, right there where you can see it if you want. There there, that's better isn't it?

Now, I want you to repeat after me.

"It's okay to love my hammers but it's not okay to L-O-V-E my hammers."

Repeat this twenty times before every blow, every time you pass a mirror, before meals, when meeting anybody and before bed. If your feelings for your tools persist for more than 24 hrs. PM me for shipping info.

I'm here for you.

Frosty

You might be addicted to blacksmithing if you...
Notice some strange kid has wandered into your shop and he's asking you who you are and why you are in "our" garage.
Then you begin to put the pieces together-
Three weeks ago, once you added a bunk to the shop, the wife left you and sold the house. Now the new owners want you gone!

you manage to set fire to the tarp you put "up" to keep the rain off you long enough to get your fix and enjoyed standing in the cold mud for hours till you had your fix

( up means.. tied to the scrap pile here..over a tree branch there ...tied to a car here..... garbage can there.......)

Turns out flaming tarps make lousy hats in the wind and rain......

And your "buddy" succeeds in getting the fire out -now you have to ignite yourself again so you can continue with what you were doing, because you found it more economical timewise to just stay right at the anvil and take heats off yourself instead off moving back to the forge...

Took a business trip to Boulder Co, to film some training videos, and saw a sign that indicated a blacksmith shop called the "Iron Rose" well forget about business, stopped by and had a great chat, invited him onto the site, so when "AMOS" shows up, I will have brought my first member in. He's got a very cool shop, and he is a most congenial fellow. I look forward to seeing his work posted on the site! And I actually did get the filming done on time and under budget, who knew???

• 1 year later...

if you spend a great deal of time drawing while your pastor is faithfully spreading the gospel, once in a while looking up to make sure he knows you are still with him. My pastor is my friend, and I told him I hear every word he says, it's just that I need to do something while I am listening to him, and there is nothing better than to plan the next project. I really don't know what the term undivided attention is, never been able to do it!

Inspiration comes from many sources, and in many forms. Ever look at the handrail and think it would give much better support if it were made of metal and anchored properly. Then mentally design the railing in changeable panel sections, each section with a different but related design. The railing panels could then be changed out to reflect each season or event of the year. And why only one railing at one height, why not two railings, one at adult height and one at kids height?

My name is _________, others think I am addicted to blacksmithing, so I attend the support group meetings each Tuesday night on IFI.

I know this is a really old post, but I have to say it was a relief to read this... My wife finally bought me a leather apron because she was sick of me reappearing from the shed at dinner time in another smoldering holey shirt. I thought there might be something wrong with me, but it turns out there is a good support group so I should be ok.

This little passtime has been great for my domestic productivity. I've all but given up weekend TV - if I can get the lawn mown, gutters cleaned, & tree pruned in time, I won't cop any grief for spending a few hours at the forge. Should be possible if I don't stop to eat.

At 42 I can't belive it took me so long to find a hobby where I have more projects, plans, desires & ideas than I can ever hope to complete. And best of all, I really achieve useful stuff as a consequence. I just have to balance the whole making a tool to make a tool to make a project. She does like to see the odd completed project, and tends to tire a bit at seeing the latest "tool" I've made...

I have found that my partner`s enthusiasm goes up when she`s occasionally reminded that a tool made is one less tool bought.Start making them bigger or more complicated and then bring them in to show her while saying"Look at all the money I saved us".
I can`t take credit for this approach,I actually learned it by watching her use it on me after she came home from a "sale" or after visiting the clearance aisle.I finally snapped to the idea that if they use it on you then they HAVE to support it when you turn it around and send it back.

If her enthusiasm ever REALLY wanes then mention taking up fly fishing or golf and leave some of those high dollar catalogs laying around.Anything that features stuff made with carbon fiber and/or titanium will do the trick. B)

One thing about my debilitating back injury is that my tee shirts are no longer burned full of little holes(and big), my big callouses on my hands are gone and that makes the wife a little happier but changing over to silver is still addictive, don't kid yourself about that, it still involves fire, hammers and anvils, I like METAL! :D (Can you tell?)

I just signed up for a class, and it does not start till June, my hands are shaking, my eyes are blurring, I can't sit still, I'm already starting to mentally fill my tool box, packing my suitcase, agh, it's gonna be a long 2 months!!