I Forge Iron

Logsplitter ram to a press??

KYBOY

I have a 27 ton hydraulic logsplitter(two stage pump)..It has a easily removable wedge and a 1 1/2" thick solid base..Basically all a logsplitter is, is a hydraulic press with a wedge..I was thinking of making a flat press attachment for the ram(easily done) and trying to press some damascus billets with it....What do you think??

Well :D Guess it wasnt an original idea..LOL.My spliiter is set up a bit differnt from Dale's..Mine has the wedge on the ram and the plate on the foot.I think I can use the plate on the foot as is(with a bumper plate to keep from burning the paint off) .It logsplitter has a pretty fast return and downstroke..A 5.5 HP honda engine and two stage pump..It will be easy to change back and forth..All I will have to do is change the splitting head out for a "hammer head"..I plan on trying it out next week when i can make it out to gather the needed supplies....Im looking forward to trying it on some billets..

Edited by KYBOY

Soon as I get it going Ill post a pic of it..I dont want to permanently change it..I only want to be able to change it out when forging down billets to save my already beaten and battered arms...I burn wood for most of my heat so I need that splitter :D

KYBOY , sorry ta take youse wind outta youse fire mate .

I hire my splitter out from time to time , i also need the " dies " to be removeable .
I can weld up ( SQUASH ) 4" of iron in 1 heat , i just wish i had thought of it sooner

Dale Russell

Dale can you post some more detail pics of the dies ? I may know ehere a spiltter i can use is at LOL.

Chris , mate , i's just used what i's had on hand , push plate was a hunk of forklift tinne " hung " onta it ( takes up the space ram don't push to ) , wedge i just fabbed outta 25 mm ( 1 " ) square , real backyard engineering ...:) . Remember KISS , it does work ...:)

Now all i's gotta do is get it ( splitter ) back off GreenLantern ( aka ) Nige ( i hope he reads this too ) :D

Curly , i had this thing sittin' in wood shed for 5 yrs before i thought of bungin' a couple of dies in it , noisy as all get out in shop ( & don't the nexty's just love it too .. :) )

KYBOY , bloke , i set it up to save whats left of my shoulder . Now if only i could find a fly press too , then i'll ave hand hammerin' , fly press , hyd press & 15 kg ( 33 lb ) air hammer

Dale Russell

I am building a new log splitter since I gave the last one I built to my Dad when he moved, I am setting this one up so it can be used as a press as well and I am also plumbing in a set of quick connects, like tractors have for hooking up hyd. impliments, so I will be able to use it as a hyd power source for othe equipment/tools I build.
I'll post pics when done but it may not be till late winter or spring by the time I get it done.

welder19

The style quick connects I use have check valves in them so you don't have that problem, just like an air hose on an air compressor except these have it in the male and female connector, however it still is best to have as little psi on them as you can but you won't get any oil out any way.
Thanks for the warning anyhow, I do have a lot of hyd experience but that doesn't mean I don't make mistakes sometimes.

welder19