I Forge Iron

Nail header plans?

Dave M

I made a simple mild steel one to use in my basement with a single firebrick forge. Didn't even make it hot!

Drilled a small hole and then relieved it on the back with a larger bit and then cold drifted it with a cut masonry nail (from the back) to get the taper.

Sized it for election sign wire (of those days) had to replace it about every 10 nails but as that took about 3 minutes...Made the nails for my Mastermyre chest when the weather was too bad to go and forge outside...

Well, I couldn't find the common bolt I thought I had, but found a grade 8 bolt I didn't know I had, 1 inch x 6 inch. I flattened it some and punched from the back using the largest punch I had till there was about 1/4 inch of material left, then I punched that with a small square punch, then dished it using a ball peen hammer. I made a few nails yesterday. Problem was the hole was only 1/8 inch.

Today I drew down a piece of stock, 5/16 I think, and quenched it in Hofi's salt lube and drifted the hole from the back with that. After the header cooled, I filed the dome of it smooth, and made some nails. Here are 15 of the 20 I have made, and I think more than 6 are going to be suitable to hang stocking from. Several look more like drive hooks than nails.

All my nails ended up somewhat banana shaped, even if I made them straight before heading. Any tips on that?

I am also going to draw out the threaded end of the bolt into a better handle before I make more nails, them threads are quite uncomfortable.

Phil

ps, almost forgot, most were 3 heat nails, 2 to draw, size and hotcut, then 1 to head. I thought that was reasonable for now.
Phil

19412.attach

19413.attach

Edited by pkrankow

UnicornForge,
Thanks for sharing the picture and explanatory notes - I have made several nail headers using automotive springs like Thomas (following the BP0322 plans as noted by Glen) - but now feel the need to make myself a nail station like the "1993 in the Williamsburg blacksmith station" - a bit for fun, a bit for learning and experimentation, and a bit for skill development and speed of production/consistency.

Many thanks all

Trevor