I Forge Iron

Buffalo Forge Co hand crank blower refurbishment

Found a Buffalo Forge hand crank blower, got it from a new friend in trade. I am working on tearing it apart, and refurbishing it. Here is the blower as I recieved it , chunky oil in some spots, pretty tough to turn but everything all there and no rock tumbler noise:

6652.attach

Got the fan housing, fan blades, and gear case cover all off. Not always, but sometimes you have to take the gears and shafts all apart, not recommended, sometimes they wore specifically so they won't go back together properly ever again. Always good to get a look at the gears, check for missing or very wore teeth and other wear points on the shafts or loose bearings. Clean and degrease the old gears, get all the loose gunk and rust out of the gear case as much as possible, grit dust inside is a bad thing for obvious reasons, sandblasting is a no no on the gear areas. The gears look nice and fit on this one, the small gear on the last shaft (that the fan rides on) is a bit loose side to side, but not all floppy and sloppy, it's the only one that shows almost any wear, no chips broken teeth or nothin. Here it is all tore apart and a shot of the gears:

6655.attach

6656.attach

If I'm not mistaken, this design of blower is directional so it moves air best in one direction only. You'll figure it out in short order once it's back together and working. It is also a very good size for the normal 11x14 pot or thereabouts.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Just finished restoring a Buffalo Forge Blower with the same problem, the caged thrust bearings on the lower shaft were just pile of rust. I tried every bearing shop in the are without luck. I ended up replacing all the ball bearings with new 5 mm ( I think they were actually 5.1 mm) ball bearings that I took out of casters from TSC. Since I didn't have them caged, I surrounded the shaft with more bearings than were originally there, greased the heck outta them and added a thin brass washer to hold them in on the fan side. The blower works great now.

I have five Buffalo blowers in use at the school, but no 210's. I have one odd one, a '300' which has gears at a right angle to the pear shaped fan case. The other four have similar gear cases, not unlike Sam's. The fan cases are all "snail shell directional," unlike Champions which often have the pear shaped fan cases. Two of the fan cases are cast iron and two are pressed sheet metal. My personal blower has a conformation similar to Sam's with the horizontal blast. Three have the blast heading downward about 30 degrees off horizontal.

I think that Buffalo had a basic design, but it got altered a little over time depending on who was in charge of the machine shop and/or who the sub contractor was.

• 4 years later...

Thanks,  I am new to Chat System so any help would be appreciated. as I said I am a new hammer on the block trying to build a forge.  I took a beginners 8 Hr. Class at Funks Grove near Bloomington ILL this fall.  The forges they had were 30" x 24" with sides and ends out at a 45 Deg angle.  They used hand crank blowers.  I have  a Buffalo Forge Blower, the fan cage measures + - 7 1/2" in Dia and the Gear Box is oval + - 7 1/4" long and + - 4 3/4" across tapered at the bottom end. The gear box cover has a rivet on the top which I am not sure how it would be replaced, therefore haven't removed it yet.  Any Help?  

Per your reply , Marc1 am I in the wrong location to post, and if so where do I find it?

Thanks R. Evan David

Scottsdale, AZ

Can we get a picture?  The only "rivet" I can think of on a blower is the lift to oil button.  Now several blower tops cannot be lifted off because they have to slide to the side to disengage an internal interlock.  If it's rusted in place it can be hard to shift it without cracking the cast iron.

Thomas,  THANKS!   Yes,   what I thought was a river is as you suggested a small  push Oil button for the gear case.  I was afrade to  remove the cover earlier,  but with your help, knowing it was not a retaining rivet I was able to remove the cover carefully with a small hardwood block. All of the gears look to be in excelent condition.  

Thanks again.  

R. Evan David

You are doing my reputation as a grumpy, cranky, old curmudgeon no good!  Glad it worked out for you and even gladder that the gears are ok, may need some soaking in a solvent if there is any old grease/oil/crud built up in it and please oil it during use.  Note that blowers are rather notorious for flow through oiling---ie they often drip oil.  Also if you will be using it in a cold environment you may need a light oil for winter use and try not to over oil it.