I Forge Iron

HB anvil identification

Well it was made after 1908 because the numbers on the heel were only on the anvils with a top half made of tool steel which started around that date. The serial numbers on the front foot aren't much help since its not possible to tell where in the serial number 437 is located. Other than that it looks to be a nice anvil.

Ya, I figured that it was made after 1908. If I remember correctly, pre 1908 had a jump welded face. 

Believe it or not, this was a eBay find for about $350 back in 2001 or 2002. I remember complaining how much it would cost to ship it from the east coast to California. 

^^ I can't remember exactly. I wanna say it was roughly 150 lbs. 

I'm completely bewildered by the asking prices of anvils these days. I've been shopping for a used 200 - 250 lb anvil for the last year or so, but haven't found a fair price yet. But then again, what I consider a fair price may not match todays fair prices. Plus, I'm on the west coast, so anything considered an antique is surely worth 3x as much.