I Forge Iron

Steel for Mechanics Wrenches

Hi all,

I am interested in trying to make a set of wrenches (the mechanics type, not scrolling or twisting). I plan to use a slit and drift method with a hexagonal drift (hopefully the 1018 carried at Discount steel will work for the drift). 

My question is what kind of steel should I use for the wrench itself? I live in Minneapolis, so prefer to deal at Discount Steel as I can drive there! However, looks like the only flat bar they have is 1018 or A36. I dont have a power hammer, so not interested in trying to work the round 4140 they carry to flat. Do I need to look elsewhere, if so - any suggestions?

If any of my questions are odd, forgive me. I am new hobbyist, so just working my way through all this. 

Thanks for you time,

-Steven

I'd recommend using some kind of tool steel, if you have some leaf spring or some other spring steel I'd try that. But from what I've read people used to make wrenches from wrought iron all the time so a36 should be fine if you make it beefy enough or if you just want to practice.

Most mechanics tools are made from a medium carbon steel like 4140 going for toughness---you don't want a wrench to deform in use and you don't want it to break in use.  Higher grades of tool steel can be used with good care in hardening and tempering to make lighter and "slimmer" tools; but general use tools aim for toughness.

Have you asked them if you can order the stock you want through them?

Otherwise the suggestion of using 5160 is a good one especially if you source it new and treat it *right*!

This is very helpful! I actually do have access to some leaf spring (the maker space where I rent time has some lying around), so might give that a shot. I was wondering if using a thicker flat stock in the A36 might work as well (though will be overbuilt perhaps), so will try that too - especially because it is relatively cheap to practice on.

I was not aware of 5160, but it sounds pretty ideal for this application. Any tips for working with it or heat treatment?

Steven if you have a smart phone get the Heat Treating Society App.  It is free and goes into detail on heat treating dozens if not hundreds of alloys.  It is titled the "HTS Heat Treating Society ASM International Heat Treater's Guide Companion. Or if you just look around on this forum 5160 can be found. Best of luck on making wrenches, I hope you post the finished product, we would like to see what is possible.

5160 is one of the most common alloys for leaf springs.  How were you planning to work them?

A-36 would not be a good material for "using" wrenches; yes old wrenches were made from real wrought iron at times and were massive large thingsnot suitable for modern mechanic work.  Better for locomotives...

Thanks for the App suggestion, I will definitely download it! 

I am going to give the leaf springs a shot. Not sure how I will work them yet. I am an academic, so research and reading are my bread and butter. I will dig into what I can find online and here. Never worked steel with higher carbon content than 4140, so have a learning curve here. 

I might practice on the A36, but would really like a try a working set. 

I will for sure post photos. Going to get the drift material on Monday, so hopefully by next weekend have at least a prototype.