I Forge Iron

Came across a Trenton today

I was purchasing an acetylene torch from a man today and while we were talking he mentioned he had an anvil for sale. He brought it around and I immediately noticed the Trenton logo and asked his price. At 150$ and in decent shape, I didn't haggle. It has a large wide diamond Trenton logo with "solid wrought" clearly visible underneath the logo. I believe there are numbers "102" at the base on the right side. There is a "5" on the front foot. Approximate weight is around 90 I think and the bottom is flat, no oval like some Trenton anvils. 

Anyone have any clues on this one?

IMG_4736.JPG

IMG_4737.JPG

IMG_4738.JPG

IMG_4740.JPG

IMG_4742.JPG

The anvil is a Imported Trenton:

(AIA) PG 357 Says the imported Trenton Anvils do not have a serial number,

they are always flat under the base,

and they may have solid wrought below the trademark.

It also says the weight is always on the side below the trademark.

Hi all!

An anvil was donated to me and I've grown obsessed about finding out the make of it. My guess is that it is a Trenton, but it only has a square hole under it (no hourglass/oval depression). The table and the horn are not quite level, which would seem to exclude Peter Wright if my understanding is correct.

It weighs about 122-124 lbs, is 24 inches long and 4 wide. Hardy hole is more 7/8th than 3/4, but it's quite old and therefore hard to measure with precision. 

It has a nice ring and works wonderfully so far. The markings seem to have been chiseled out (as opposed to simply worn out), so my guess is that it is a reject. The casting seems to be a bit asymmetrical, so that might be the reason.

Thanks for your help!!!!

20170103_151624.jpg

20170104_125253.jpg

20170104_125307.jpg

20170122_084224.jpg

20170122_084447.jpg

20170122_084538.jpg

3 handling holes is common in American made anvils after 1900 says Postman and it's shape agrees with that too.

Any numbers stamped into the waist under the horn?  

Any numbers on the front of the feet under the horn?

Any undulating surface on the underside of the heel?

So I'm trying to narrow it down between: Trenton, Arm and Hammer, and Hay Budden

The early HB's had shallow indentations in the base and many have worn flat---I have one where the hourglass is very hard to see.

Most likely a Trenton anyway.

13 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

3 handling holes is common in American made anvils after 1900 says Postman and it's shape agrees with that too.

Any numbers stamped into the waist under the horn?  

Any numbers on the front of the feet under the horn?

Any undulating surface on the underside of the heel?

So I'm trying to narrow it down between: Trenton, Arm and Hammer, and Hay Budden

The early HB's had shallow indentations in the base and many have worn flat---I have one where the hourglass is very hard to see.

Most likely a Trenton anyway.

I've looked everywhere for numbers, without any luck. Here are some pictures of the underside of the heel + under the base. 

Thanks a lot for your help, it's much appreciated. 

Cheers,

20170123_105451.jpg

20170123_105457.jpg

20170123_105502.jpg

20170123_105509.jpg

Now THAT is interesting: definite unfettled casting line. Trentons did NOT cast entire anvils but did use cast bases welded to the top section. If that one was down here near the border I would suspect it was one of the "fakes" being cast in Mexico and shipped over the border for sale as "real" ones.  No stamping and drilled pritchels.  I have seen several cast using "real anvils" as patterns.  However the patina looks older than the cast anvils coming across the border.  How is the ring and ball bearing test?

The ring is high-pitched and sustained and the table has a nice rebound (about 90%). Definitely steel.

About the patina, there seems to be paint leftovers here and there on the anvil, so it might look older than it is. I only know for sure it was used back before the internal combustion engine.

So I gather the most probable origin is a cast steel copy of a Trenton?