I Forge Iron

Fisher saw makers Anvil ?

Hi , I just ran across this Fisher Anvil I believe it is a Saw makers Anvil but I'm not sure.. its only 8" wide and 5" tall . does anyone know for sure if that's what it is ?? any idea of its approximate value ?? I have a chance to buy it but I'm not sure what a fair value is.. thanks, JT

4160[1].jpg

4162[1].jpg

4161[1].jpg

Those sawyer's anvils are not for making saw blades, but for truing them. Joshua , Fisher Norris Museum, was telling me that they have very hard faces because they were meant to always have a blade between the hammer and the face. They can be used for smithing, but only with hot steel, no cold forging otherwise they chip.

My friend in N.CA got a 50# Fisher sawyer anvil for $20 that is in great shape. How much would a similar block of steel at a scrapyard cost? Not much. It really gets down to what type of forging that you will be doing.

Hi BGD. I knew they were made to true saw blades but see people seem to call them saw makers anvils so that's what I called it. I wasn't sure if that was what its intended purpose   was for though as it is smaller then most I've seen.. I probably wouldn't use it unless working something small as I have other anvils.. but I saw Fisher on it and it caught my attention and though it would be something interesting to add to the shop.. but didn't want to over pay for it.. JT

Fisher made sawmaker's anvils from 38 to 600 lb.  Smaller blades = smaller anvils.  Bigger blades = bigger anvils.

They were used for tensioning the saw blades for their intended purpose.  Blades were not actually made on them.  As stated above, the anvils were used to hammer the blades, if done correctly, there was always a blade between the hammer and anvil.  The steel faces were made very hard....like Rockwell 58 and above.

They can be used for blades and general blacksmithing, just be real careful with you aim.  The faces will chip or crack if hit incorrectly.

Value....what is it worth to you?