I Forge Iron

First Anvil Purchase

Let me explain, people from over 100 different countries participate on this site; cost of an anvil can vary quite a bit depending on what country you are in.  You didn't say and a number of different countries use $ besides the USA How are we supposed to tell where you are at to answer your question properly?  

As so many blacksmithing questions have a "location" factor to them: "Where can I find", "What is a good price", "How do I do this"---the location factor being "I'm just down the road, stop by and I'll show you how"; We generally suggest folks edit their profile to put in a general location.

So if you were in the USA and lived where I live now that would be an acceptable price; (though I would still offer $300 in cash). Where I used to live that would be high---and both places were in the USA!

Now you said it was online---what is your cost of picking it up or shipping it?  That *has* to be added to the cost to evaluate the deal----$400 + 2 day drive each way or $200 to ship changes the "price" a LOT and would put it over the line for me.

How do you tell if an anvil is a great deal online?  It's gone in *minutes*!

10 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

Let me explain, people from over 100 different countries participate on this site; cost of an anvil can vary quite a bit depending on what country you are in.  You didn't say and a number of different countries use $ besides the USA How are we supposed to tell where you are at to answer your question properly?  

As so many blacksmithing questions have a "location" factor to them: "Where can I find", "What is a good price", "How do I do this"---the location factor being "I'm just down the road, stop by and I'll show you how"; We generally suggest folks edit their profile to put in a general location.

So if you were in the USA and lived where I live now that would be an acceptable price; (though I would still offer $300 in cash). Where I used to live that would be high---and both places were in the USA!

Now you said it was online---what is your cost of picking it up or shipping it?  That *has* to be added to the cost to evaluate the deal----$400 + 2 day drive each way or $200 to ship changes the "price" a LOT and would put it over the line for me.

How do you tell if an anvil is a great deal online?  It's gone in *minutes*!

Ok, thanks for the clarification. I should of added my location to the post and my profile. Still figuring this forum out. I'm in Massachusetts, USA.

I have some free time tomorrow afternoon and will be headed out to see it then. Finding time is always the hard part. I was planing to offer $300 and go from there. Being brand new to the hobby I just wasn't sure if this was a good price or a quality anvil. They seem to be all over the place with the prices so it is hard for me to tell if I'm getting a good deal for my money. Fisher, from what I read online is a very common anvil. 

Fishers are one of the 2 major "quiet" anvil brands and it is the better one---the other being Vulcan.  As such it will not ring when tapped with a hammer a *MAJOR* feature.  My main shop anvil is a 515# Fisher and it's really nice not having my ears blasted using it.

BTW look up the ball bearing test and NEVER grind on the face!

2 hours ago, rule4 said:

Ok, thanks for the clarification. I should of added my location to the post and my profile. Still figuring this forum out. I'm in Massachusetts, USA.

I have some free time tomorrow afternoon and will be headed out to see it then. Finding time is always the hard part. I was planing to offer $300 and go from there. Being brand new to the hobby I just wasn't sure if this was a good price or a quality anvil. They seem to be all over the place with the prices so it is hard for me to tell if I'm getting a good deal for my money. Fisher, from what I read online is a very common anvil. 

If you are on Facebook, check out my Fisher & Norris Factory Museum Page for information on Fisher anvils and lots of photos.

Yes, Fisher made between 500,000 and 600,000 anvils, but how many of them are still around and usable?.  They are among the best of the steel face-cast iron anvils.

Fisher is a good brand, I have one myself, but I would offer less. The average is around $3 a pound for basic anvils like that.

As to is it a good deal... If both parties are happy with the transaction then yes, it was a good deal. 

Is this a purchase that you can afford comfortably? You don't want to have to struggle awhile for one piece of equipment.

And just a little perspective on the price asked. For $400 I could outfit a complete smithy. It probably would not have a London pattern anvil ( although I did buy two anvils recently for $100 each. 95#;H-B and a 138# PW), but it would have a good , and probably heavier scrap yard anvil. The London pattern is not that old compared to other basic block anvil designs. Now having said that, that Fisher is a good brand, it appears to be in good shape, and if you decide to give up on smithing would not be that hard to resell. If you are an urban smith the fact that a Fisher is so quiet to work on is a bonus. 

3 hours ago, rule4 said:

Thanks for the advice. I picked it up today. Managed to get it for $275.

IMG_1276.JPG

Just a bit of design history....your anvil was made in 1890 or 1891, there should be a date under the heel.  How do I know that?  The 100 under the horn is the weight.  Fisher marked some of their anvils in this manner for only two years, mentioned above.

Your anvil has had a lot of use, but it still has a lot of life left in it.  Do not grind, sand or remove any metal from the face to "clean it up".  Wire wheeling to improve the appearance only.  Then just use it!

great size and weight especially for a first anvil!

Littleblacksmith