I Forge Iron

Trying to buy this one any idea exactly what it is?

My friend at work has a grandfather that he claimed has an anvil. I asked him to take some pictures of said anvil. After seeing pictures of said anvil I really want to make a deal on it. his grandfather said to him, "yeah I have an anvil, I don't know where it's at, but I don't think I want to sell it." My friend thinks he can talk his grandfather into selling it he says. I sure hope he does. Anyway I see it's from Sweden but does anyone know any more about it?  

IMG_2978.JPG

IMG_2979.JPG

A Soderfors Paragon....  $900. Hope you fellows don't get in trouble with Grandpa. One never knows how deep his attachment for the steel may be....

If it were mine I'd tell you $2,000 and you kids get off my lawn!

Look at yourself, it's not even yours, and you are drooling, and your heart is pounding for it.

Try not.to insult with a lowball offer - good luck!

Robert Taylor

A Soderfors Paragon is as good an anvil as you'll ever find provided it hasn't been through a structure fire. I don't see a price so can't comment. It looks to be 198lbs. which is a good size, heavy enough to move without killing yourself or a lift and heavy enough to do pretty heavy work. 

IF I had the liquid assets I'd snap it up for $800 or less. Good luck.

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty, are the names like empress, paragon, etc  marked on Sodefors, and if so where? Mine is 306# and all I have found is the weight, date, Sodefors, and Sweden.

That was one of my better purchases at $200, but I use my 260# Fisher more because it is quiet compared to the Sodefors.

4 hours ago, BIGGUNDOCTOR said:

Frosty, are the names like empress, paragon, etc  marked on Sodefors, and if so where? Mine is 306# and all I have found is the weight, date, Sodefors, and Sweden.

That was one of my better purchases at $200, but I use my 260# Fisher more because it is quiet compared to the Sodefors.

Take a closer look at the pic, I didn't see it the first time I looked, Sodefors trade mark is directly above 'sweden' and to the right......PARA???.  If it helps, rub a bit of chalk on your puter screen...!:blink:

I don't think there is a specific layout to how the Soderfors foundry marked their anvils. They made anvils for many markets, my 125lb. is a Sorceress #5 and the only one I know of. Soderfors Sweden is cast proud on one side while Sorceress #5 and 125lbs is stamped on the other.

Stop rubbin it in Guns, I paid WAY more than that for mine and don't whine. I just hope you don't plan on weighing me out if I ever drop by for a visit. 

Frosty The Lucky.